Am i doing something wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am i doing something wrong?

So i buy my bearded dragon 20 crickets at a time from petsmart... whenever he finished that 20 i will then go get him another 20... i thought 20 would last me a while... NO! i get them and they are all alive... i get home put them in their little cage thingy with their gut load and all of a sudden i have one dead... no biggie... try to feed him to Elvis (he wont take it from me for some reason) so i throw it away... they all go crazy and eat the gut load and make a crap load of noise and they seem fine, all are eating... i wake up the next morning to find about 5-6 more dead and they buddies eating them... every day that i wake up i find more dead... :/ i looked up online (before i bought the crickets) how to take care of the crickets and it told me to gut load them... and not to use water so they dont drown... so i immediately went to petsmart and bought Fluker's calcium fortified cricket quencher, Fluker's orange cube complete cricket diet, and Fluker's high calcium cricket feed and of course the 20 crickets... the first batch of crickets i had i left them in the little container they were bought in and just took out a cricket when Elvis needed to be fed... all but 2 of those crickets survived and lasted me a good while (there was also about 20 there) and that was before i knew i was supposed to gut load them... I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong but i could sure use some help... i feel like a horrible reptile owner right now...

Melissa

Re: Am i doing something wrong?

Hi Melissa,

Crickets are cannibals. I had a Tokay gecko once and I would buy $1 worth of crickets - they give too many crickets. The pet store gave one scoop for $1. So, I didn't put all the crickets in there at first, I kept them in a cricket carrier. Well, they died so fast in there and would eat each other. The huge $1 amount wouldn't even last the week. So, then I decided that I would just put all $1 worth of crickets in the cage. They didn't die as fast BUT they laid eggs. A few weeks later, the floor of the Tokay's cage was literally crawling with babies. Then they started escaping..... AH!!! couldn't deal with it so we found a home for the Tokay. Gave him away with the enclosure and everything in the enclosure. I wouldn't feel like a horrible reptile owner. Maybe there is a better way to keep crickets and hopefully you will find some info. Also, my teacher brought crickets into the classroom during the lifecycle unit and the next day, they were eating each other. Fun for the kids, ya know - watching insects being cannibals..lol

Star

Intelligence is not how much you know, but knowing how to put the knowledge you have to use!

Comment

as the last post said they eat each other. the best way to cut down on this that we have found is go to wal mart and get a big tub we got one for about $8 and we put 75 crickets in there a week with the same gut load that you use. we still have some die but not very many. what really seems to help is if the have a big space and big bowls for the water and food then they dont fight over it.

Comment

If the eclosure's not big enough there own urin will kill them. Also put a paper towel or toliet paper tube in there for them to crawl on.

Comment

yes i forgot to mention that we put paper towel rolls cut into 3's for hides and egg creats-----? dont know how to spell.

Comment

I use a 10gal 100 Crickets and the same feed and gel water we go though in 3 to 4 days some weeks i loose a few some weeks loose a lot those crickets keepers never work.... I have 2 of them...good luck on you quest

Comment

Forget the crickets all together and switch to roaches. They don't stink like crickets, they don't make noise, they're more nutricious with a higher shell/meat ratio. A thousand Lobsters will last you a long time for about $25 shipped, you can keep them in a 10gallon tub with dog food and water for months.
              "It is not my responsibility to live up to other people's perceptions of who I am. I am only responsible for living up to the standards I set for myself, to be the person I want to be."

Comment

I agree... Roaches are probably the best answer to your problem...

Comment

I had a water dragon as a kid. I hated feeding crickets. The're noisy, they breed, and are friggin escape artists. I switched to mealworms, but it they stick around long enough, the turn into hideous black beetles...Having an kind of insects around as feeders suck...

-Sean in CA

-Sean in NoCal
                  “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
                  -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

i absolutely hate roaches... Elvis would never get to eat if i fed him those... i would never touch them... i think i'll try the bigger inclosure thing hopefully i can take this little one back...

Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by mbraun3 View Post
                      i absolutely hate roaches... Elvis would never get to eat if i fed him those... i would never touch them... i think i'll try the bigger inclosure thing hopefully i can take this little one back...

Melissa
                      I understand Melissa! I hate roaches also. Don't like crickets much either but I could deal with crickets.

Star

Intelligence is not how much you know, but knowing how to put the knowledge you have to use!

Comment

im going to deal with crickets... lol

Melissa

Comment

you can always use tongs lol, my wife would never sleep if i started feeding my monitor roaches. But if you can get away with it my friend feeds roaches with great sucess.

Comment

maybe when my boyfriend moves in with me in a month i'll get him to do it.. lol

Melissa

Comment

The reason the crickets die off. Is because they only live for around 6 to 9 weeks. Most adult crickets are already near the end of their live cycle. Therefore they die. It would help if you bought smaller crickets than adults. Bacteria will kill them also. Most pet shops don't keep things clean enough and they are sick when you get them. Just like the reptiles they sell.Buying smaller crickets means you feed more and buy more but they will last better. I hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X