Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do I clean a Blaptica Dubia enclosure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do I clean a Blaptica Dubia enclosure?

Alright guys this is out of the ordinary for me but I'm breeding Blaptica Dubia. That would be the Guyana Orange Spotted Roach. I've got about 500 of these guys right now and plan on making quite a few "super colonies". Let's just say that I'd like to see 6 figures in the future and I ain't talking about money....

My question is this. If any of you breed these guys for feeders and what not how often should I clean out their enclosure and change out the egg crates. I've heard every 3-4 months and I've heard every 5-6 months. Not that it probably matters but I'm gonna take a stab at it and say every 6 months or so.

WHY do you ask that I'm breeding a hoard of roaches? Well I've been a HUGE lizard freak since I couldn't hit the toilet standing up, but I was TOTALLY discouraged because I absolutely hate crickets. Therefore I'm breeding up a colony of Roaches, planning on spreading the word of their benefits and probably going to end up w/ too many lizards to boot. Either way I love the roaches. No smell. No sound. No escapees. And gutloading them? Well they devour food like the bunch of raving nematoads in that classic Sponge Bob episode where they ate his house.

Either way... Any info on when to clean them would be pisser. I've got all the other husbandry facts down and they are pretty happy w/ their cool 93 degree temps right now.

And BTW... I like my beers cold. Roaches fat. And RTB's right around 8'!

Thanks guys!
    -Ian

Re: How often do I clean a Blaptica Dubia enclosure?

I would recommend "Black Knight" or a chunk of pest strip for those Kah Kah Roaches. I must admit that I don't know a whole lot about roaches, (did you call those doobie roaches?) but I know I'd get the results I want if I have 500 of those puppies running around.

theboaphile.com
    boaphileplastics.com

Comment

i dont know anything about roaches but i just had to say that you're hilarious! (not for the face that you're breeding roaches...)

Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by The_Boaphile View Post
        I would recommend "Black Knight" or a chunk of pest strip for those Kah Kah Roaches. I must admit that I don't know a whole lot about roaches, (did you call those doobie roaches?) but I know I'd get the results I want if I have 500 of those puppies running around.

Comment

Between the Boaphile and my bud Ralph D. there must have been a quite a few "That 70's Show" moments in moms basement back in the day. Of course it helps when we get some of the RTB.com veterans like Reagorfu in tow egging Grand Master J on. I am now very afraid to visit the Black Hole, Margaritas in hand or not! Look for a package very soon at the doorstep guys! Compliments of the "Roach Motel". BTW I'll trade ya the weight of a Motley in some of the finest, healthiest 6 legged critters you've ever seen Jeff! And mine don't bite back. What do ya say?!

-Ian

Comment

That's really a tough question Ian. I've found that with my colonies, it isn't a question of time, but of population density. In other words, it depends on how many you've got in what size tub. I started out with 1000 Discoids, from nymph to adult, in a 54 gallon tub and I didn't need to clean it for about 10 months. But in that 10 months, the colony went from 1000 to about 10,000, and I've been cleaning it about every 5-6 months since. I start to feed off heavily when the colony size hits that number, but a 20,000 roach colony in that size tub would be do-able, but you'd have to clean much more often.

One suggestion: stagger the cleanings of your colonies. I've found that with my Discoids, production drastically drops off after cleaning. Discoids do not like to be disturbed and cleaning really seems to upset them. I don't know if the Dubai are going to be as sensitive, but if they are, and you clean all your tubs at the same time, you might end up with a shortage of feeders for your lizards as a result.

Also, I've been feeding all my roach colonies Turkey Feed (like chicken feed, but for turkeys), because its much higher in protein than any dog food I could find, and its much less expensive ($15 for a 50lb bag). My roaches love the stuff and my colonies have about doubled in size since I started using it. If you have any Feed or Stock stores around you, you might want to pick up a bag and try it out. The really nice thing is that its already crumbled, so you don't have to deal with grinding dog food up in a blender.
            "It is not my responsibility to live up to other people's perceptions of who I am. I am only responsible for living up to the standards I set for myself, to be the person I want to be."

Comment

Monkeywrench!

I was hoping I'd hear from you on this subject. I have 500 nymphs right now and I'm currently feeding them a roach feed I bought until I could formulate my own. I will definatly look into the Turkey feed. As of right now I feed them the Roach Chow and everyday I've been putting in a variety of fruit and vegetables. I change this out once a day. It's really easy for me since I do a ton of cooking. They seem to like grapes, baby carrots and oranges the best. And on the plus side they've doubled in size in like 2 weeks!

I was going to go w/ Discoids and probably will eventually but I got turned onto the Dubia by my friend James from Blaberus.com. They breed a little faster, have a softer shell, VERY easy to distiguish male from female when they mature (at a glance), and are a lot less sensitive than the Discoids. So I figured I'd get my feet wet w/ the Dubia first.

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.
              -Ian

Comment

Working...
              X