roaches replace crickets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roaches replace crickets

as the title says i have been working at breeding lobster roaches and hissers. and i have no desire to ever return to crickets horible smell and short life. If anyone wants to know more or needs help breeding these species just ask i have these down 100%

Re: roaches replace crickets

Do Lobsters climb glass?
    Last edited by monkeywrench133; 11-22-2008, 08:10 AM.
    "It is not my responsibility to live up to other people's perceptions of who I am. I am only responsible for living up to the standards I set for myself, to be the person I want to be."

Comment

yes they do but i put vasoline about a thin 2ish inch layer rubed on the top never had one escape.

Comment

thanks to who ever moved this, i did not see the feeder insects.

Comment

I totally agree. I bought a colony of b. dubia's about a month ago, and I'm starting to see some babies. I'm waiting another month before I feed out of it. The roaches are much easier to breed and don't smell at all.

Comment

agreed, and they live for a long time.

Comment

another thing i just thought of , the main reason i switched was 1. it takes alot of crickets to fill up my monitor, while half the amount of lobsters will fill him. And the hissers he only can eat a few. 2. my monitor is a picky eater (for a monitor) i give my roaches salad, fruit, vegies, that my monitor will not eat and now he does not knowing lol.

Comment

How many different types species of Reptile and Amphibians
                would possibly look at roaches as a good attractive meal ?
                Anoles
                Geckos
                All different Lizard types I guess would be my quetion?
                Different species of Frogs & Salamanders ?
                . . . . Lar M

Lar M
                Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

anything that would take a cricket will most likly take a roach, my friend feeds them to gekos, bearded dragons, frogs, i feed them to a savannah monitor, and my 2 trantulas, and soon i will buy some tokays to help feed off my roaches.

Comment

also roaches have about 3times the belly as crickets, so you can gut load them 3 times better. and the meat to shell ratio is way higher i used to feed about 30-40 crickets at one feeding now its 1-2 hissers or about 10 adult lobster roaches.

Comment

Sounds good. What do you need to raise them and where can they be found? Would they have them at reptile shows?

Comment

you can find them on aaronpauling.com hes out alot but when he has them he is by far the cheepest place. And he has great quality i raise mine in tubs with a heat pad under them and i order his cricket water 8 ounces with every order i have done and have barely used any it makes alot. and for food i feed them leftover salad just not cucumbers, potato slices, carrots apples. and i have a dry food i make thats always available. i put bird seed, rabbit food, oatmeal, some cerial, and i blend it into a powder. just stay away from dog food and food with high calcium it will kill your roaches. i dust them before i feed them.

Comment

I'll have to check it out. I hate the smell of the crickets. I would probably be better off raising my own feeder insects with having frogs and lizards.

Comment

yeah crickets smell thats a fact. i have about 3000-5000 lobster roaches in one tub and i cant even smell them when i remove the lid.

Comment

I second aaronpauling.com . That's were I got mine and they are doing great. I put mine in a rubbermaid plastic bin with a screen over the top. Then I have the tub sitting on top of a heat mat. I will use the roaches to feed my 12 tarantulas and my chinese water dragon. I'm giving the roaches a couple of months to really establish before I feed out of it. I check on them last night, and there were babies everywhere!!

Comment

Working...
                              X