This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Keep These????

s8.gif Hey everyone anyone here keep arachnids of any kind, like tarantulas or scorpions or any kind of bugs??? Would be cool to know what all you have and what kind.. I used to have 59 tarantulas and now im down to 12 as i sold most to make room for my other critters.. But my fav 12 stays with me.. are they addicting, you be ya they are.. I just love my little fuzzies eight legged friends... cwm30.gif

Re: Anyone Keep These????

I currently have one tarantula. A chilean rose-hair. I'm going to be getting a couple of scorpians soon as I have the room for more critters and my fiancee wants to either get a giant bird eating tarantula or a curly haired tarantula. They are fun aren't they. It just sucks after you hold them for awhile and put them back in their tank. Just can't stop itching your hands!!!!!!!! cwm4.gif

Comment

I have been thinking of getting a Tarantula lately. How are they as pets, you feed them mice? Can you handle them much? Are they pretty easy to take care of ? I need some info if you would.

Comment

Actully depending on the species, they are pretty easy to take care of. As far as feeding, most of them eat just crickets. I feed mine 2-3 every two weeks. Most people feed 1 cricket a week. They don't require much room in their tank. I have mine in a 5 gallon tank, most of the time, he's in his cave. Just sitting there. He only comes out mostly to eat. Most of the species will pretty much survive on crickets. Every once in a while, you could give it a pinky, but that's no very often. Now there are some species, like the giant bird eating tarantula that will eat mice, small rats and birds (hence the name). They are a little more difficult and really can't be handled very much, due to there size, amount of venom and they're speed. Like I said, I have a chilean rose-haired and I handle him all the time.

Comment

8) Ok well first off there are many tarantulas you can get that are handable, Brazilian black- G. Pulchra is the best of all wont flick hairs and wont bite and wont be skittish.. so easy to work with and they get to be about 5 to 6 inches and are a velvety black.. then theres the mexican red knee B. Smithi, nice colors and easy to handle gets around 6 inches but will flick hairs, some that are handled alot , like mine get use to it and dont flick the hairs no more.. then theres the curly hair, handable alittle skittish and eats like a real pig.. Also the texas tan, chaco golden knee, pink zebra beauty, pink toe and many others that are handable.. You should make sure you feed your T's at least 6 to 9 crickets in one feeding at least 2 times a week.. some T's will take pinkie mice depending on the size of the T. My T's get feed every 2 days to every 3 days. You need to keep them at a temp of 72 to 78. as for housing depends on the size of the T again but most do well in a 5 to 10 gal tank,with peatmoss mix bedding several inches deep and a few fake plants and hide house..also depending on the type of T ya get you can mist there cage 2 times a week for humidity as most need high humidity only exception the desert T's and ones that come from very dry regions. Make sure you have a water dish about the size of a jar lid in the cage to ,, sponges in a water dish are a no no..some of the tarantulas you can get are not handable but just absolutly drop dead beautiful and very intresting to have and watch.. If ya need anything else just ask, i have been working with them for more than 20 yrs..  Hope this helps ya.. b26.gif Oh by the way goliath bird eaters and others that get huge wont eat birds or rats, lizards like anoles yeah. You can feed a goliath or other real big T's pinkie mice live but also fuzzy mice that are prekilled and wiggled with tongs. I have used pinkie rat pups that are pre killed with no prob on my brazilian salmon pink..

Comment

Everything I've read said 1-2 crickets a week. Am I underfeeding the poor guy? I've tried to put a few extras in the tank before, because the pet store just gave me a few extra's and He didn't want nothing to do with them. They were chirping in there for almost a week, before I couldn't stand it any more and took them out. I'm going to have to look for one of those bazilian black. They sound very beautiful!!!

Comment

8) Depending on the size of your T thats not enough feed.. just remember that a T will go off feed for awhile befour it molts, sometimes they will only eat very little for few weeks then stop all together then molt a week to 3 weeks later.. Are you putting the crickets in all at once or one once in awhile.. Try putting 5 in all at once.. If its a T under 4 inches 3 crickets every 3 days will be ok.. what size crickets are you using?? There is a real good book that i sugest that every T owner or someone wantting a T should have, its called ( The Tarantula Keeper's Guide) by Barrons, stanley a schultz.. And what makes you itch is the hairs from there rump, try washing your hands in warm water after and rub them with vaseline this should help..

Comment

can you recamend a breeder of brazilion black.??
                I would like one of those... ;D
                I am into keeping anything out of the ordinay...
                At least once..
                Eric aka...Red

Comment

8) These are some of the places you might be able to find one but the brazilian black is in high demand and because its such a great T its not cheap.. try to find one atleast 2 inches or bigger thats a garunteed female.. you pretty well much have to look around to find one and when ya do check into it as they will not last long.. remember they are called G.Pulchra , brazilian black..
                  http://www.invertepet.com/catalog.htm
                  MIDWEST EXOTIC PETS.com
                  http://www.michaeljacobi.com/jacobiherp/arachnids.html
                  E-Spiderworld.com
                  Arachnocenter.com
                  Kingsnake.com in the invert classifieds and petbugs classifieds..
                  check these places often and you just might get lucky.. hope this helps..
                  and try this for a pic and info... http://www.petbugs.com/caresheets/G-pulchra.html
                  Enjoy!!!! Yes they are very addicting and great pets.. s23.gif b27.gif

Comment

That would explain it. She/He did molt just here recently. (I'm not sure what sex he is, nor do I really know how to tell.) I'm usually putting in medium to large crickets. I would have to say he is about 3 1/2 inches in diameter, including legs. I did put 3 crickets in there last week (which was about a week after he molted) and he gobbled them up in no time. Maybe I should start getting more crickets for him. You said about 3 crickets, twice a week? Now I feel bad, I thought I was feeding him the right amount. Do you know of some very good online care guides for T's. Or maybe some personal advice. I have a chilean rose hair.

Comment

Thanx!! ;D
                      Eric aka...Red

Comment

Ok these links will help you out more and has some pics to, also this one link thats first will show you how a male and female look so you will know when yours gets mature enough.. If ya also want any others on any other T's il be glad to give you all the links you need.. Hope this helps.. Enjoy!! ;D

http://www.angelfire.com/anime/spiderchris/p2/roseap

http://www.petbugs.com/caresheets/G-rosea.html
                        http://www.arachnophiliac.com/burrow...tola_rosea.htm

Comment

b25.gif I am also gona add these pics for ya of a rose male so you can see what they really look like.. This is a red phase morph, notice the color is more intense..

Comment

Very kool, thank you very much!!!!!! ;D Based on that first web site, I would have to assume that I have a male. He is very bright almost neon pink in the center. (sorry I forgot the technical term for it. All I could think of was thorax and I don't think that's what it is.) Thanks for all the info. I'll be reading it closely during the next few weeks, while I'm relearning everything.

Comment

And this one is his bulbous pedapalps..only males have these when they mature.. b30.gif And the part of the body your talking about would be his carapace..

Comment

Working...
                              X