This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emperor Scorps & parasites

I used to keep a couple emperor scorps ,But they died whithin days of one another ,and I found what I beleive was a moth larva in one tail . Is this a Tiger Moth ? Or whatever it was . How can I keep them out ? I have been reluctant to try keeping them since .But ,I really like the little guys.

Later on,
    Dan

Re: Emperor Scorps & parasites

:-/ Hhmmmm alittle puzzled on that one Dan, never herd of them getting anykind of worm parasite.. Im off to check in on that.. The only thing i know they could get would be mites around the joints of the legs, tail, and mouth.. How were you housing them and all????? If ya get anymore make sure they come from a reliable source and are clean.. I set my Emp's up like i use to many years ago in a forest type cage with a good amount of moss and a rotted log plus a fake plant and peatmoss mix for bedding under the moss.. I make sure the cage temps stay at around 80. Make sure they have a small water dish and mist the cage once a week.. Il get back with ya on the worm parasite, that dont sound to cool... :-/ :'( Very sorry you lost yours...

Comment

I picked them up at seperate times , but they were from a reputable dealer at a show. I beleive it was some type of a larva laid there by a moth or something similar , but I'm only guessing.... Anyway , thats why I am reluctant to get more scorps. It's too bad ,too . Cause those guys are so cool.
      Let me know if you find out anything at all.
      This happened a few months ago,and I just never thought to ask anyone, untill now .
      Later on ,
      Dan

P.S. they were kept in a jungle type set up ; misted three or four times a week ; and "I don't allow any mites to live long around here!!!" I hate them little %[email protected]#@@#!!!

Comment

:-/ Well Dan im still checking around on that issue.. Im not commin up with much at all.. You housed um good they must have came in with something.. Sometimes wild caught T's come in with grub like parasites and no one knows what they are or why they lived in the T as long as they did and then just poped out..I wonder if this could have been the same type of parasite in the scorps.. Could be some parasite from where ever the scorps came from... Im gona keep checking into this till i get answers!!! As soon as i find something out il be posting it for sure... Please dont let that deter you from getting more, Emps are great scorps!!!!!

Comment

:-/ I still have not come across anything on parasites for scorps except mites.. I will not give up till i find answers!!!!!! By the way can you give me a pretty good discrip of what this thing looked like???Im starting to wonder if a Pepsis wasp got to it...???

Comment

What I found was a 1/2 inch worm. I beleive it also will infect crickets , it may have came in with the crickets one time ???
            In the cricket tank I found a tiny moth , and small web like burrows in the substrate . The substrate in the scorps tank have the same burrows . I just figured that I wasn't doing something right ,but I can't say what. Thats why I never asked anyone sooner .
            Hope the description helps
            Later on,
            Dan

Comment

Re:Emperor Scorps & parasites

Dan good news after all this time this might shed some light on what happend to your scorps.. Now i dont know if this was the prob with yours but its worth checking into.. Heres the link, once there click onto (Nematode Warning!) http://www.pet-forums.com/petbugs/arachnids.html

I hope this may help.... even though its basically Ts it could also be other arachnids...

Comment

Dan, after you were talking about this at the show. Lily and I were wondering if it may have been from the Crickets or not. But like Cuda said, it's probably something that they came in with. The one major problem with WC anything!!! Don't let that one experience put your thoughts down on ever getting Scorps again though!!! Who knows, next time they may live forever and you'll get lucky enough to get a gravid one like Cuda did.

Comment

I will get more scorps, for sure. I will do more research on the parasites and parasitic larva first though. I only put scorp keeping on hold.

Comment

Working...
                  X