This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom and the babies

Okay, I had a friend come over and look at her and photograph her. He said she is definitely a Vaejovis species, probably Vaejovis spinigerus, a.k.a. Arizona Striped Tail scorpion. These resemble a young Desert Hairy, but only reach 2-2.5" in length. It's hard to identify the mom with 20 babies in the way. She can have as many as 30-40 babies. The toxicity of their venom is not as potent as that of a Desert Hairy, which is pretty wimpy as far as scorpions go. This species is known to be pretty spunky. Because of all that's happened, I've named the mother Mom. Well anyways here are the pics.

Mom and babies, the hole on the top right is a burrow I started which was never used.

Closeup of babies on Mom's back

Babies shortly after birth

Bry

Re:Mom and the babies

;D ;D Fantastic pics Bry!! wow shes got a lot... seems the smaller scorps have more babies as the Emp has larger babies and less.. But WOW shes loaded dude... great great pics... did them babies on the ground get back on mom ok?? Dude i really got get pics of my babies... rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr wish i had a dig cam... booohooo... :-[ :'( way to go gramps.. hehehehehe!!! ;D

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS BRY

LEE

Comment

Way cool Bry.. Never seen baby scorps.. They almost likke like larve that color..

Great luck with them..

Steve

Comment

Nice pics..Thats a lot of scorps..Like steve said they look like Larva..Good job...

Comment

Those are great shots Bry, An awesome picture to show the babies riding on the mom that way.
            To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
            -Clay English
            Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

AWWWWWW, that's cute!! Congrats Bry.

Comment

???Bry hows the mom and babies doing?? Have ya gottin her to eat a crix yet.. Mine has eatting several times since she gave birth.. 8)

Comment

Mom and the babies look like they're doing good. I can't really get her to eat any crix. She just acts very defensive towards them and doesn't let them near the babies.

Bry

Comment

A quick update: the babies have been molting the last couple days. It looks like they're all done molting. They're now looking more like scorpions, and not like fat grains of rice with tails. They all seem to be doing well. Maybe it's just me, but the number of babies seem to have gone down just like it has with Cuda's baby emps. The mother has probably been eating the weak ones that weren't going to make it anyways. That's a pretty natural occurrence. There's still plenty of them left.

Bry

Comment

Working...
                    X