This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have some "?'s"

How do you move the "hot" spiders from one cage to another... How often do you clean out there cages...
    What sized encloser is a good size for a spider... like a " to size of cage ratio.. Thanx..
    Also look at this pic of a colbolt blue T.
    http://www.birdspiders.com/archive/1/0090.htm
    Eric aka...Red

Re: I have some "?'s"

8) No prob Red,, are you sure you want a hot T as a first time T? As for the cobalt blue they are pretty, some being more blue than others and they are not as hot as your ornamentals.. But they will bite and are very agressive. They live mostly under the bedding in there tunnels- burrows.. and once in awhile they will come out for you to see.. they are not handable!!! Now for your other Q's...Moving hot T's. Well this is what i do and am very careful, I get a plastic deli cup of apropreate size, or containerslightly larger than the T, use gloves, you can use welding type gloves they are thick enough..i dont use any as i know what im doing and have been for many years.. now you also need something long, say like super long surgical hemostats, tongs or what ever ya can use as long as it wont poke the T..Slowly put the container up to and by the T and lightly and gently prod the T into the container,, Just remember that T's can be lightning fast.. slow movements work much better , if the T avoids the container just work with it till it gets close or goes in.. Once in, slide the lid under or over the top of the container..Just go very slow and dont freak out.. Now how often you clean there cage would be a matter of how much the T leaves behind from eatting. you get these little tiny wad balls of cricket remains after the T is done once a week just pick them out, The T shouldnt freak out if ya open the door carefully and do it slowly.. or use your tongs or hemos to pluck them out.. Every now and then i take all my T's out and wash there cage and clean there glass and refresh there bedding.. Now as far as size goes... it depends on the size T your getting.. Say a 1 to 2 inch baby you should use the smallest of the critter keepers or also called pet pals..its only about 6 or 7 inches big.. for the next size T, say 3 to 5 inches use the medium critter keepers or pet pals its about 10 to 11 inches big.. anything over that in size for a T i use 5 to 10 gal tanks for mine.. Always make sure your lids or tops are secure because T's are very strong even though they dont look like it...I had a King baboon T rip the top apart on a critter keeper once, she was a real brute at 8"++.. Just remember T's dont need tons of room but then again theres us people who like to spoil our babies and go all out and fix up there cages to match there own habitat... Hope this helps ya out....

Comment

Ya I don't want a hot one first but they are realy cool look'in.. huh...
      I want a brizilan black... Is a brizilan black velvet the same spider...??
      I realy want one that will not scare me too much at first...
      Also are the ones that evil got from the desert...
      I am in to cacti and would lov' make a desert vive... I have been look'in for some thing to put in one...
      How about the blacks I read that they are from the forest.. Is this right...?
      Eric aka...Red

Comment

8) The brazilian black velvet is a diffrent T than the brazilian black, as far as i know they are not as sweet and easy to handle than the brazilian black. G.Pulchra...as for the mexican red knee its from semi desert regions and you can keep them like that but its not cool to have real cactus in the cage as they can get hurt on the spines from the cactus... You could always set up close to the desert cage and just make sure the T has a house hide that has some peatmoss mix in it for humidity and comfort.. as for the b. black yes it is a forest species and needs good humidity..But you dont want to much moisture in the cage.. I have found that alot of people are assuming that there Ts need high humidity and they actualy do better with less humidity.. You could always set up a cool cage like the rain forest floor.. peatmoss mix and some plants and some moss and a cool hide house for the T and a low wattage flourescent light.. would look cool... and then just mist every other few days and put water in the water dish..

Comment

Well I can put some tropical suculants in with a forest one... well that is just as good... hehe I just lov' lil unloved things... The things that are off the beaten path have always atracted me... Now spiders... well cool..
          Eric aka....Red

Comment

8) Hey Red, check out this site for ideas and you can also order from them to...
            www.Blackjungle.com

Comment

Working...
            X