X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for "T" folks

Hey all,

Got a call 20 mins ago about a spider in need of some help. Its a Rosehair T. Sounded to like someone did the old daddy long leg thing,. This T is missing all his/her legs Just one stubb left on one leg. Its about 1 inch long. I haven't seen this guy, don't know what i could do if I did take him. The little I know about T's, I am assuming this guy couldn't eat. I know after a molt or two the legs should come back, but if he can't eat sounds like he can't make it. Any ideas. is this a dead case? I can put this guy to sleep with no pain by gasing him, but figured I would check and see if he even has a chance..

Thanks
    Steve

Re:Question for "T" folks

Wow, that's a toughie, the poor T. Barracuda would be better qualified to answer this question. If you opt to keep it alive, I suppose you could feed it crickets occasionally by killing them and putting them directly under the T. But, I'm really not sure. There's always the part of getting it to water. And how will you know when's the right time to flip it on its back for molting, even if that wouldn't to cause any problems? Even if it did molt, I don't think the legs would be fully functional until after the 2nd molt. Really sucks that some people have to do things like this. Kind of a weird situation, they can live without legs, but at the same time, I would think they can't.

Bry

Comment

I don't know, I don't think they're legs can grow back. Maybe after several molts, but honestly I'd be surprised if he lasts that long.

Comment

Hey Bry,

I know. I was at a loss for any answers. I know very little about T's so it makes it harder. I didn't even think about flipping him over to molt. I did try to put a dead cricket under him, but he didn't eat it.. Hate to say it, but I think I will pick him up tonight and put him down. I think its better any way you look at it..

Thanks for the help Bry.
        Steve

Comment

I hate to say it, but I have to agree with you. Poor little guy. Why are people so s5.gif s5.gif stupid?!!!!!?!!!! Why do people have to be so cruel so animals? I just don't understand it!!!! :'( :-\ :'( :'(

Comment

Well, steve, I have to say I think you're doing the right thing. Despite the fact that it would survive without legs, the suffering from stress would be too much. It's kind of hard to eat with your mouth on the floor. Do you know if they pulled off the pedipalps on the spider, or just the 8 legs? If you don't know what those are. The pedipalps are in front, next to where the fangs are. They're actually modified legs, and they work more like hands. Either way, I think you're doing the best thing for the tarantula. The poor thing. :'(

Bry

Comment

Bry,

Good question, and thanks for explaining what those were. I know very little about T's. Honestly I am not sure. I will give them a call and ask. I didn't notice. Just that he was kind of rolling. He has a few stubs where his legs were, bit too small to do much more then tilt around..

If he does have them, does that mean he can make it?

Steve

Comment

Well they called me and ordered 5 dz mice, so I figured I would take the spider then. I looked at him, not looking good at all, and not just because of the missing legs. So I did what I feel was the right thing. I put him down as soon as I got home and buried him in the woods.. Better this way I think..

Thanks for the advise all..

Steve

Comment

:'( :'( :'( Oh my, im sorry for not being here earlier.. Cassie had therapy and i was real busy.. I cant belive what im reading.. :'( :'( :'( Yes you did the right thing as it would not have survived. That just wrenches my heart.. > Who in the world would do such a thing to a T.. T's can grow there legs back but it takes few molts befour they look normal but with that many missin it had no chance for survival.. More than likely it had lost alot of blood.. poor thing :'( :'( :'(

Comment

Hey Baracudda,

No problem. I am glad everyone agrees with what I did. i felt bad, but I didn't think it was right to keep him alive and let him starve to death..

I did ask the store what happened to the T. He told me the following.

Some older lady brought him in. Said that her son purchaced the T 2 weeks ago. He finally got the nerve to hold this guy and after about 30 seconds the T bit or stung him. The kid got mad and pulled his legs off to punish the T. His mother got there just before the last leg was pulled off. But was pulled on enough to dislocate it so when it arrive at the pet store, when they were moving it from a yogart cup to a small critter case the last leg fell off.. Yeah I know, people are stupid. If it makes you feel any better this 14 year old kids hand was swollen up like a ballon. So even know the spider couldn't be saved, he did get his revenge..

Sorry for bringing everyone down with this story. I really didn't have anyone else to ask that knew about T's..

Thanks Guys and Gals
                    Steve

Comment

:'(Something dont sound right with that story, first off the T would have tried to deffend its self when the kid was pullin off legs and he shouldnt have swollen that bad from a rose hair bite unless he was allergic to it.. Anyways the damage is done,, it really gets to me when people do such mean crule things to a helpless critter.. And i had just got done working with all my T's when i came on and read that... Im very glad you put the poor thing down... :'( :'(

Comment

Hmm.. Now you have me wondering. The swelling I can see. I have a slight allergic reaction to spider and flea bits, where as my wife, nothing. I did see some kid who was bit by either a rose hair or pink knee and the guy took a bite to the cheek, don't ask I have no idea what the T was doing on his face. But he cheek swelled up and welted out. Took over a week to go down. And since I wasn't there I have no clue about the leg pulling off deal. I just imaged the to pull the leggs off wouldn't be to hard and avoid being bitten. I would assume that it was pinned and pulled.. Hate to think of it either way. The poor guy had to be in pain. People are real idiots sometimes..

Steve

Comment

Working...
                        X