This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heating questions

How do you reccomend heating the T's cages. Do you reccomend or use heating pads at all. And if you do, do you reccomend using them under the tank or on the side of the tank. I'm reading all this information and getting conflicting stories. Wondering what all you reccomend. Currently with my rosehair and my redknee I have a heating pad under the tank which covers about half the tank. I don't currently have anything under the Usumbara, but it's summer so I'm not really that worried about it just yet.

Re:Heating questions

Here is what this website http://www.acs.ucalgary.ca/%7Eschultz/roses.html says in the heating and lighting section. It's talking about rosehairs, but I'm not sure it this applys to all T's or not.

"TEMPERATURE AND LIGHT:
    Being desert animals, one might assume that these tarantulas require excessively high temperatures. Not so. They're extremely sturdy and resilient creatures and will do quite well at normal room temperatures. For the most part, unless you have antifreeze for blood, any temperature at which you're comfortable will suit the tarantula just fine. If you have a choice, 74 to 85 F (23 to 29 C) is ideal.

Be careful about trying to artificially raise the cage's temperature in the belief that the Chilean roses need higher temperatures. There are two problems with supplying extra heat to a tarantula's cage. First, without a major engineering effort the heat is largely uncontrollable. If you happen to experience a particularly hot day and accidentally leave the cage heater on, you could easily come home to a strong smell of well cooked tarantula.

Second, artificial heat sources are strong desiccators. They dry the cage out extremely rapidly and to a very harsh degree. Roses are accustomed to living in a desert, but even they have limits to what they can tolerate.

The bottom line here is that maybe a lower temperature is better than an artificial heat source unless you can engineer a fool proof, fail safe heater. Be extremely careful. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

NO SUNLIGHT! In fact, avoid all bright lights, but make sure that the tarantula can easily tell the difference between day and night. "

Comment

8) Well thats basicly for rose hairs but every T is diffrent, T's that require higher heat say 80 to 82 should have a heat source under the tank, make sure to mist the cage and check water dishes every day.. Now as for the T's you have Evil they should fair well at a temp of say 78 to 80, if they get slow and inactive, not molting then they are more than likely cold. Your best bet to do is stay with the under tank heatting on low.. (When the temps get hot in your house turn the heatting pads off.) If you have a thermometer in there cage and its reading 78 to 82 you should be fine.. A T in heat stress will constantly be looking- moving around alot, climbing the cage walls or digging to get out and away from the heat.. As for lights , no sun is right unless your taking the T outside for few during handling as in a cage they can fry.. I have used plant lights low watt for a long long time with no ill affects and i have also used low watt black light bulbs also for night time viewing and it dont bother the T. Just make sure the bulb is not to close to the top as to cause the cage to heat up.. Make sure you give all T's some time in the dark as this is when they love to come out and prowel around for food and a drink.. Thats why i use black lights for night time viewing... Hope this helps.... 8)

Comment

Yeah, my T's just kind of sit around doing not much of anything most of the time. They do move around occasionally just for a change of scenery, but not much else. They are not continuesly digging or trying to get away from the heat, so I'm assuming that the temps are OK. Thanks for the advise though. After I read that I was worried that I was doing the wrong things for my babies.

Comment

I keep my T's in the snake room, and with 18 snakes in there, ambient heat is not a problem. So, I don't use any additional heat sources for the T's. But, if the ambient room temperature weren't optimal, then I would opt for a heating pad on the back of the tanks. T's in the wild burrow to escape the heat, and if it were to get too hot, the T would burrow closer to the pad and get hotter when it's trying to get cooler. That can't be good when it's trying to cool down.

Bry

Comment

Yeah, I was kind of thinking that too, but I wanted some other opinions. I'll probably move the heating pads tonite.

Comment

Working...
            X