This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new bug

Well, the itching came once again for a new bug. Actually, the itching's been there for a while, but we won't get into that. : So, I went by the local reptile shop and picked up an a. avicularia, also known as the pinktoe. The bug is somewhere between 2.5-3" legspan, and I'm thinking of naming it Mephisto.

Bry

Re:new bug

8)Aaawwwww Bry way to go bud... dont ya just love getting new T's... Sounds like a nice T and i bet its cute to... Thats a real cool name... I can just see the smile on your face right now... What an adiction!!! You gona be gettin into more scorps to Bry??

Congrats on the new
    baby!!

Comment

You're telling me about the addiction?? LOL Yes, I'm definitely gonna be getting more into scorps. I'm looking into eventually getting Hadogenes sp. and Heterometrus sp. as well. I'm also looking into millipedes, as you already know.

Bry

Comment

:P ;D Wooo hooooo!!! Go Bry Go!! Yeah those millies are just as addictting to.. LOL!!! As you know Bry i would still love to get my hands on the Red Devil scorp as well.. Keep us up to date with how the pink toe is doing...

Comment

hey bry thats pretty cool the local pet shop by us has a pink toe for sale for 15 bucks as soon as we can find all the required stuff for his house we are planning on buying him.

Comment

8) Hey Mel i think that would be just awsome if ya got a pink toe T... You go girl!!!! ;D

Comment

lol yeah it would but that would be my hubbys pet hehe ill take care of the snake babies he can take care of the t babies oh and believe me thats all he talks about is how hes gonna get his t lmao

Comment

Well, I'm gonna tell you what a pinktoe needs, because every home should have a tarantula. Don't you agree, Cuda? LOL

Pinktoes are arboreal, so obviously, height is more important than width. For the cage, I went to Wal-mart, and looked in the kitchen section where they have all the Rubbermaids and such for food storage. There are two plastic cookie jars, one is 1 gal, the other is 1/2 gal. I got the 1/2 gal. which runs for $2 (the 1 gal runs for $3). The jar is about 6" wide, and approx. 9" tall, is clear and has a white lid. I used a corn in the cob holder to poke holes covering one whole half of the jar for ventilation. It helps if you burn the sharp end with a lighter, that makes it easier to poke the holes. For the substrate, I made a 50/50 mix of peat moss and moistened Eco Earth (same stuff as Bed-a-Beast or Forest Bed). I also used a slab of cork bark leaning up against one side for the pinktoe to climb onto. Then I used the lid from a pop bottle which serves as the water dish. I wanted to put in a plant, but nothing is small enough to keep the cage from being overcrowded. The 1/2 gal. jar is a good size for 1.5"-4" juvies, you can move them into the 1 gal. jar when they hit the 4" mark. The 1/2 gal jar may seem small for a pinktoe, but mine is 3" and she is far from cramped. I hope she starts building webs soon.

My pinktoe (and the ones you see in all the pet shops) also come from Guyana, which has a very warm/humid climate. So, they will do well in a cage with a humidity of 80%, and temps of 78-82. With such a high humidity, you will have to make sure there is no mold, ventilation is your friend. I learned a trick to prevent that, especially with very small (less than 1&quot fragile spiderlings, is to open the cage daily for ventilation. I also learned that peat moss has a high acidity, and is supposedly mold-resistant, but I'd rather not take my chances, as I believe the cork bark can still get moldy.

Bry

Comment

A cute, fuzzy bug

Cuda, you think you can sex this one from the pic?

Comment

I don't like 8 legged freaks but that one is actually cute..I could deal with her or is it him..why don't you tell us cuda?? LOL

Comment

that looksjust like the lil guy we were looking at! about the same size and all too cool beans!

Comment

8)Very nice pink toe Bry... to tell ya the truth bud its alittle hard to tell as the males of this T are almost like the females body wise pink toes all have long slender legs.. almost looks like a male to me but i could be wrong dude... still very nice T. ya got there very colorful to... Male pink toes stay pretty small so if this one molts again and isnt a mature male then you deffinatly have a female from the size that it is a male wont get much bigger... Very nice pics Bry... ;D

Comment

Okay, this is something I've been wondering for a while now. Just exactly how do you tell if a male is a mature male? I figured one way to tell is when they make their sperm web. Is there another way to tell?

Bry

Comment

8) NP Bry, the easiest way to tell when a male is mature is he will have boxing gloves on the end of his pedipalps, they look real bulbous.. almost like they didnt molt right, il go and dig ya up a pic so you know what to look for in the next molt or 2.. ;D

Comment

ahhhhhhhh can't believe i am saying this but not a bad looking SPIDER!!! lol looks good in the picture now if it was infront of me it would be a different story lol.

LEE
                              president of all spider whimps!!!

LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X