New Rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rescue

So we picked up a breaded dragon from of my girlfriend co-worker, who could no longer take care of this beautiful animal.. With no regular feeding schedule or no handling interaction because he his gotten big. He had lived in a very nasty environment and smell very bad.. I put him in warm temperature water for 20 mins and he started drink water immediately. I also noticed a bad hump in his back, at first i assumed it was do to an injury but then i thought he had (MBD) but he started climbing on everything with no problem. So I ruled it out, only because in my research. An breaded dragon with (MBD) will not be able to climb what so ever. So my last guess is he did not have the proper lighting for his enclosure. I guess you can say we rescued this guy. I think I should still make a vet visit for this guy just to be sure, but he is in good hands with us and hopefully he become more happy at our home.. A few before and after pics below...

Nasty cage, all enclosure items were trashed due to bugs and crickets leave inside, poop with everywhere...

I know this cage is small and only a 10 gallon but it what he came in and i soon will be getting some a little bigger for him.
    This is the new look..

Thanks guys, any feedback would be very helpful, thanks in advance...
    sigpicJrock23

Re: New Rescue

I've never had "breaded dragon" before...is that anything like chicken-fried steak? (sorry, I couldn't help myself...LOL)

Seriously though...I'm glad you were able to take on this beardie...I've not seen any with a hump before...like you, I wonder if it's related to improper lighting & vitamin imbalances, but if that were me, I'd have a vet
    check him out too. Bearded dragons have SO much personality...I'm glad to know he can function (climb & all) so hopefully he's not in pain, and I hope his future is bright and pain-free as well. It might also be a
    birth defect, just like the tail-kinks we see in snakes?

Comment

LOL making fun of me.. I just noticed my mess ups... Yes i will still made a vet visit to be sure and thanks for your feedback and for making fun of me LOL
      sigpicJrock23

Comment

I'm just so relieved! He is so cute & he has enough to worry about without being 'breaded'... (giggles)

Comment

[MENTION=13772]Noelle7206[/MENTION] why thank you, i`m just a little worried about what the vet may say.. I have to do whatever it takes to get him healthy and better and heal properly
          sigpicJrock23

Comment

Originally posted by Jrock23 View Post
            ...I have to do whatever it takes to get him healthy and better and heal properly
            In all sincerity, he is a lucky dragon to have YOU adopt him. Beardies are charming pets but most new owners under-estimate how demanding their care is...and sadly, many get it wrong. It's a very good sign that
            he is climbing around with ease. I've had a rescued bearded dragon many years ago, he was starved, constipated & near-dead, & even though snakes were (& still are) my specialty, the jerk-owner said "if you don't
            take him we're just gonna dump him outside" ...which was of course illegal as well as immoral...and "Spike" went home with me & made a total recovery. Hoping the best for yours now too.

Comment

Yes I am one of them new owners and i want to do things right. I really don`t know much about dragons but I will help any animal out to the best of my abilities. The best thing i`ve noticed is, I put him in warm water and he pooped right away and he is eating apples and greens right now so he did no vitamin or fruit what so ever, just crickets. I see good signs so i`m keeping a positive attitude.. Yea that owner was a jerk too release an animal like that, good thing you did take him..
              sigpicJrock23

Comment

Sounds familiar, that your dragon was also fed only crickets! That's what part of the trouble was, with the beardie I rescued. Not only did they ONLY feed crickets, but they only fed crickets that were too big.
                Those large hind legs on crickets aren't digestible and plugged up Spike something fierce; also, they kept him on wood shavings, so in desperation for veggies, he ate the shavings too. My vet had me give him
                daily doses of mineral oil, & he didn't think much of my idea to soak him in warmish water baths...but that was at least as important as the mineral oil. Turns out beardies love to soak & defecate in water...I've
                read more since those days (I wasn't online back then either). I followed my hunch & since he was starved, I gave him small amounts of babyfood until he could eat & digest normal foods...it kept up his energy
                without adding to his constipation. All in all, he did 3 huge 'dumps' while taking a bath until he was emptied out...he was SO skinny & all of a sudden, he had a great appetite, and just gained weight & strength
                very fast after that. He was about 6 mos. old when I got him...once he could eat & digest again, he grew to normal size/weight pretty fast. If you ever need to medicate your dragon, consider mixing it into Gerber's
                babyfood...dragons like the fruit or veggies, even chicken would probably work. Their normal diet is quite varied.

Comment

One thing about the dragon I had was that he also tried to eat things that weren't edible, like the buttons on my shirt or little pebbles on the ground. Not sure if they all do that...wonder if it was mostly because
                  mine learned how good 'other foods' were rather late in life? but I always had to watch so he didn't swallow something he shouldn't. Silly dragon! And once he learned that 'green foods' were yummy, then he wanted
                  to eat things just because they were green...like the bright green letters on my Vivarium magazine, for example. Beardies do pay a lot of attention to colors, they have good eyesight.

Comment

Ok should I feed it to him or put a little into his feeding bowl..
                    I mean he is so active right now and I'm still hand feeding him apples and greens. Should I continue that with the baby food. I guess I'm just wondering how to do that without using a spoon.. I would want to poke his mouth with anything.
                    sigpicJrock23

Comment

Not only do they have good eye sight but they are very alert as well
                      sigpicJrock23

Comment

Originally posted by Jrock23 View Post
                        Ok should I feed it to him or put a little into his feeding bowl..
                        I mean he is so active right now and I'm still hand feeding him apples and greens. Should I continue that with the baby food. I guess I'm just wondering how to do that without using a spoon.. I would want to poke his mouth with anything.
                        No, yours is eating normal...'real foods'...you don't need babyfood for him at all. Like I tried to say, just if you need/want to dose him, you could mix meds (if he needed something) or vitamins/minerals into a little babyfood very easily.
                        I fed it to Spike off a spoon, which he licked happily. (If you want a lizard- like a gecko- to lick up something, you can put a dab on their face-mouth too, & they'll lick it off. Pretty sneaky, ha ha!)

If your dragon is anything like Spike was, he'll eat & fill up on the mealworms/waxworms off his salad first...so I used to feed him only veggies, then add other stuff* later in the day...so he'd eat plenty of variety. Sorta like kids!?
                        (*including crickets or other similar bugs, like grasshoppers & locusts if you have some & you're sure they're not exposed to pesticide.) And you can even feed them thawed mixed veggies, btw! they love peas & carrots.
                        corn is tasty but not digested well. chopped green beans are good. As your dragon is offered more things, they learn to welcome new foods...bits of fruit, squash, & so on.

Later when Spike was recovered & cuddling (dozing off) on my shoulder, I was eating a bowl of ice cream when he suddenly woke up & nearly dove in, trying to eat some. I didn't give him any, but to him it looked
                        like the babyfood I think? He was SURE it must be good & he seemed to remember that spoons have food too? Dragons are hilarious!

Comment

Ok, good advice to have, and I thank you so much for helping me with more information... as soon as I can contact the vet, I will let you know what happens. Thanks again. .
                          sigpicJrock23

Comment

Good for you for rescuing him, I'm sure he will have a better and happier life with you! Keep us posted on what the vet says please?
                            http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

Nice rescue.

Beardies are cool little critters and they deserve to be in good hands.
                              "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X