This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iguana Gender

Hokw can you tell if an iguana is male or female?

Re:Iguana Gender

They had a long artical in the July 2003 issue of Reptiles magazine on some ways to tell the sex.. If you can't find the magazine, let us know and I will look for my issue. Petco carries that magazine..

Steve

Comment

8)Males have a bigger jowl and bigger dewlap, get much bigger than a female and also have much bigger and more femerol pores on the underside of the legs close to the vent area, and funny thing is males have a tendency to get argessive twoards a woman when a she is on her period... :-\ They also seem to be more colorful to...

Comment

Thanks cudda,

Finally someone who knows that the male can become agressive towards females that time of the month.. People think I am nuts when I tell them that.. BTW, males also have larger spurs on their hind legs then females. It really is very hard to tell the difference unless you have both from the same litter..

Steve

Comment

Well my Iguanas are still just babies and one my be older than the other or is just a male, I can't tell cause I got them from the pet store and they just told me they couldn't tell me what sex they truly were, that they were to young to determine. I could take seperate pictures of both of them and post them if it would help. Also, I am in a small town , we don't have petco or anything for that matter. To even have a Petstore or Wal-Mart we have to go to the city next to us but they don't have anything past the Wal-Mart level, unless you count a Mall.

Comment

8)If you can get a body shot and then one under there legs and vent area i might be able to tell you which is which, even at a young age you should be able to see the femoral pores close to the vent area...

Comment

I tried to take a few pics but they don't turn out good, so just tell me exactly what to look for and/or if you don't mind show me an example on a pic of your own or something.

Comment

Just so you know.. You can get that REPTILES magazine in most larger book stores or magazine shops.. I don't have either up by me, but there is a PetCo an hour away. So I go there..

Steve

Comment

Working...
                X