This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick Iggy I Need Help

my mother in law is iggy sitting fora one of her relatives its a small iguana and it has just a small heat rock and eats iggy food, the kind that comes from the pet stores. it has been acting lethargic kinda like its was to go into like a hibernation sort of. i have been soaking it in luke warm water to keep it warm for now because it was very cold. does anyone know what do do for ths little guy besides more heat and a heat lamp. i realize he doesnt have enought heat but is there something else i can do to keep him from dying! it belongs to a 9 year old little girl who is crying because her iggy is sick and she is out of town and all. im taking a heat lamp and a heat rock big enough for him to get on over there for now but if anyone can help id appreciate it i know nothing about iggys. im taking my lappy with me so i can check the forum often. thanks in advance!!!

Re:Sick Iggy I Need Help

Hi redtailedmel,

I can give some suggestions, and hopefully an Iggy expert with drop in and add some extra info..

OK, you didn't mention the tank temp and humidity.. I would make sure the tank is heated to about 87 on the cool side, 90 on the hot, 95 basking area.. Make sure the humidity is about 80-90% for awhile. Get some fresh greens for this iggy and dust it good with Calcium powder.. Make sure the iggy has a UVB light over its cage for 12 hours a day. Without the UVB and Calcium powder the iggy will die slowly.. Besides some fresh collard greens cut small, 1/2 size of its head, get yourself a bag of mixed frozen veggies, thaw some out, warm slightly with soem hot water, and offer then to the iggy. If you have some yellow dandalions in your yord, go pick a few and put them in his dish. If you are using pesticides on your lawn, skip the dandalions.. Was all veggies off real well, coat all food with Calcium powder every other day for awhile.

That should give a good start for the little guy.. Also make sure the iggy isn't places in a high traffic area while he is recovering. Doesn't need the extra stress..

Hope that helps.. Keep us posted..
    Steve

Comment

oh i also forgot he is real weak if he cannot eat these items him self then what do i do???? he seems to be resonding to the warm water a littel bit i got home from classes and got the call i just found out about the little guy i feel bad for him!

Comment

well shiiiiiiiii T the last post never showed up ok so here goes the post again.

i dont think he was ever kept at a certain humidity just a small hot rock and heat from the window he was placed in front of. i got him a bigger hot rock and a new light and im soaking him in water and i having a bigger water dish put in his hide to help with the humidity. there are no temp gagues or humidity on his cage anywhere and i dont have any to place there. so i am having to go by my instincts. where can i purchase the calcium powder and do i need to put it on him as well as the veggies you mentioned. can i get some electrolites and give him to to soak in will that help me? i have never owned an iggy and neither has my motherin law we have no idea how to help him. i appreciate all your help steve!! thanks a bunch i knew i could count on you for a quick response!!!

Comment

i also forgot to mention that his tail is a yellowish color not green like its dying or something and the rest of the tail where it should be dark is brown. does that give any idea of what may be happening. i think he has been slowly getting dehydrated or something from the look of him.

Comment

Hey Redtailedmel,

I know this is the last you you want to hear after you purchaced a new heat rock, but ditch the heat rock and do an UTH. I would also like to suggest to switch the iggy to Newspaper till he recoups..

As for his too week to eat. This is not gonna be fun, but if your sure he is too weak to eat the only thing to do is tube feed him some. Its real hard to make a proper call to tell you what size tube to use without a pic of the iggy next to a ruler. But just try to judge it. I would take some collard greens, with a couple of green beans, and a pinch of Calcium powder, and a small plash of pedialite and bend it in your blender into a finf slurry. Get to your pet shop, get a baby bird syringe and a few inches of aquairum hose. Make sure the hose has not sharp end. Suck up some of that slurry and just put the vet tip in the iggys mouth and see if he will let you drip it in his mouth.. Works sometimes.. If not you will have to put the tube just to the back of his mouth and put 1-2cc;s in and rub its neck to get him to swallow.. I would do that a few times a day and hope he gets back on the feed soon.. You can open his mouth by gentally pulling on his dewlap, just be gentel.. The delap is the loose skin under his chin..

Let us know how things go.. Also I know Eddie101 in the Chat room deals alot with sick Iggy's May want to try and get him...

Steve

Comment

The tail color could be due to vitamin depetion(SP) and lack of proper UV. UV from sun through glass is useless. It gets filtered out too much.. About the tail again, if the tail died off, it would turn black in color from what I have seen in the past..

Steve

Comment

ok thanks ill find him!!! ok i just tried the collard greens he wouldnt take it i put it into is mouth and hes just laying there. so we are going to have to get out hte tube and feed him i didnt haveto buy the rock just had it laying around. i have 3 or 4 given to me though its try that to help keep him warm ! but thanks for the help ill try to get a hold of eddie101

Comment

hi all

i went and got some calcium powder from the store and blended up some veggies and added the calcium powder like steve said and tube fed him. after 2 successful tube feedings he started to perk up. the only other thing i noticed was his legs were a little swollen? what can i do for that. i went and got my spare heat mat for him and an extra light for him to have some heat by and he seems to be doing much better than when i first was called to come look at him. thanks for all the help!!!!!

Comment

Hey redtailedmel..

Sorry I didn't respond faster.. I ended up laying down with a headache, and forgot to log off..

I am so glad the little iggy perked up some. As for the swollen legs, it could be several reasons.. I would continue with the heat, the UVB light and the feedings and just keep an eye on that. Make sure you keep food in his dish, and keep an eye on him to see if he starts eating on his own.. Normally the few iggys that have come through the rescue that were dry and not fed right and I started tube feedings, the moved on to taking the drops off the syringe in a day or two and moved on to feeding themselves.. I am hopeful that tomorrow he will start to take some food in on his own.. I had good luck with one, by offering him some fresh fruit pieces. Kind of a sweet treat, also the dandalions they love..

I am real glad he perked up some.. That is a good sign.. Keep up the great work..

Steve

Comment

Hey redtailedmel, very sorry to here about the Iggy and hope it gets better soon, Definately dont use a hot rock at all to many critters get bad burns from them plus they dont even out the heat in the cage, Use a people heatting pad under one end of the cage, Steve gave some wonderful advice to you.. Make sure it does have the basking site with something for climbing on and the UVB light.. Use a big enough water dish for the iggy to soak and drink out of..Now with lack of color in the tail could be that way as some do have more yellow in the tail or is from lack of vitamins also the swollen legs is lack of vitamins for sure.. Till its eatting right you can use human infint liquid vitamin drops, use the dropper and see if you can get it to lick 2 drops of the vitamin once then skip two days then again for 3 doses.. Make sure you only use the regular vitamins not the extra iron.. Baby iggys eat more animal matter when young, try crix coated with the calium powder or wax worms and leaf worms which are tiny night crawlers.. Dont use mealworms.. If the baby iggy is big enough try a newborn pinkie mouse.. Also when using veggies or fruits try these, leaf lettuce-romane lettuce, broccli heads just the flower parts, cantalope, tamatoes, bananas, peas, corn, cucumber, strawberries, grapes, peaches and pears these are all favs of theres and all must be cut up very tiny.. One other thing you can also try is caned cat food a small amount or dry cat food that has been soaked till super soggie and puffy, only try small amounts of this like a teaspoon full once a week.. The Fourpaws Vita spray works wonders on iggys... The prob is it wasnt being cared for properly and baby iggys need alot when small and they must have vitamins and calcium plus UVB and the right temps in order to survie.. Put few fake plants in the cage to make it feel more safe.. Hope this helps... :-\

Comment

thanks cuda i will sure tell my mother in law to go shopping and give her a list of stuff. im gonna print out these posts for her!!! she says she is going to keep it and get it well and find it a good home! so if anyone knows of a really good iggy care guide please post the link thanks!!!

Comment

update #2

well i have been tube feeding him, for a day and a half now and he doesnt seem to be getting any better. he moves a little bit after i feed him but not much he is so weak he cant move himself around or anything just kind of lays there and breathes. i called around today about finding a vet to see him and i finally got a hold of a clinic that would see him but the doctor that handles iggys was out today i have to call that doc first thing in the morning to talk to him about what needs to be done and if itwould be ideal for him to see the iggy or if its too late forthe poor little guy! ill keep yall posted after i talk to hte vet tomorrow. im going to have to pay the bill the original owners dont want pay. so his living is in my hands

Comment

hi all

here we are day number three and hes still alive he has been doing good with the tube feeding, but today i woke up and he has turned from a green color to a very light yellowish brown all over his body i am waiting for the only vet i could find to call me back so well see if we cansave this little guy. i got my digi batteries so i could take some pics im attaching them let me know what yall think i can do for him.

Comment

pic 2

Comment

Working...
                              X