This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tegus vs Monitors

I've been thinking about getting a lizard of some sort in the future. I still think I'll get a Chameleon sometime soon, as I already have the cage for it, but I was wondering what people felt about Tegus. I've been looking at several posts here on Monitors and really want one of those, but I've now started looking up information on Tegu's and they seem to tend to be more docile and needing about the same care as the Chameleons and monitors. Just wondering what every one else's opinions are on this.

Re:Tegus vs Monitors

hey, i had a tegu once, yeah they are nice but they just dont have the personality that my savannahm monitor had. I would recommend either a black throat monitor or a savannah in my opinion they are the most docile and "tame" monitors. Tame is not a good word to use because they are never really tamed, its just a matter of how much they trust you but imo get a monitor

Comment

I would personally go with the monitor as well, probably a Sav. They are very cool and have some really awesome personalities just like Zack said. You can interact with monitor more so than you can with a Tegu. Plus I think they look nicer.

Jeff

Comment

I don't know, from what I've read, Tegu's are like the cats and ferret of the reptile world. I was reading about the B & W Tegu, the person that did the site, said that his tegu's actually came up and "asked" for attention and lovin'. But you are right, I have heard the same for monitors. But as far as coloring goes, the pix I've seen for tegu's, they are a bit more colorfull. Does anyone know which are easier to care for?

Comment

the only downside about a monitor is the size of enclosure it needs... a fully grown sav needs a cage ATLEAST 6'x3'x3'. Tegus dont get as big but i would say the monitors are easier because tegus need humidity and all that stuff... a sav only needs about 3-5 good mistings a week. As for feeding, the tegus dont eat as much as monitors do. A monitor might go through 2 mice a week with about 2 dozen crix in between but a tegu can go with 1 mouse a week with some meat and crickets thrown in. I would still go with the monitor because the B&W are a bit moody. What ever you decide is still good since they are both good lizards, but if it was me i would go withthe monitor

Comment

and when im talking about the monitors and the tegus im talking full grown eating habits

Comment

Yeah, I kind of figured that you were talking full grown. I didn't think that babies could eat quite that much. Now, I do know that Tegu's need a pond of some sort to soak in and UV lighting as well. What about Monitors, do that need the same? Also, you said that monitors need a 6'x3'x3', Don't they get bigger then that?

Comment

THats the minimum size a cage should be proviiding you take it out all the time the monitors love to defecate in their water so it has to be changed daily but they love a water bowl thats big enough to soak in and monitors can swim underwater for extended periods of time so they love water hope this helps

Comment

The Uv lighting is a must for monitors... just a 6.00 light that produces UVB light is needed for calcium manufactoring in the body

Comment

Kool thanks. So from your experience with Tegus and monitors, The monitors are more social and "friendly". I mean of course depending on the lizard and depending on how much you handle it, early in its life.

Comment

yes in my experience with them the tegu was always Snappy, which was his name, and i held him all the time. My monitors were never nasty, only as LIL babies they would get a little jumpy sometimes when you pick them up out of their cage, but yes the monitors are alot more easier to "tame" and they are real fun to interact with becaues they stare at you with all kinds of looks. You will know when your monitor is hungry, it will give you the look, and if its really peeved it will give you THE look hehe. they listen when you talk to them and some experienced herpers even say they have the intelligence of a cat, and can be tought to come when called and do basic things like go to the bathroom on command

Comment

Wow, I didn't realize that they were so quizitive. I think that's the point that got me interested in the Tegus. Question for ya though. How do monitor fare with other animals, like cats? Like if they grow up around the cats, would the view them as food, or just another annoying thing that also lives with them? My snakes could really care less about the cats, but I don't know how the monitors would react to them.

Comment

i dont know, my cat never really comes in the room with my monitor but i have heard stories of cats, or dogs becoming friends with the monitors but i wouldnt want the monitor to get in a fight with even the biigest of dogs because the monitors jaw is designed to crush skulls so uhh.. heh you get the idea. i would just make sure that they cant get in contact with eachother, like put the dog in another room while holding the monitor, but if they get a long then thats awesome too. I dont think that cats and monitors would get along very well lol

Comment

I've heard stories of Iguana and cats playing "tag" and taking turns chasing each other around the house, but I was curious if monitors would or if you've heard stories of any doing the same thing.

Comment

i personally like the b&w argentine tegus they are real nice looking lizard and from everyone i have talked to say they are great pets and respond to names and love attention and a full grown tegu needs at least a 6'x3'x3' if kept indoors and if u keep them outside then u would need at least a like a 6' dog kennel deal with plenty of water and places to hide and burrow themselves during the winter months.

Comment

Working...
                              X