This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown Anoles in my plants!

Hi Everybody, maybe you can help me out. I live on Long Island and thnx to the Home Depot we now have a tiny brown anole who decided to make the trip from florida aboard my florida cane plant, I believe he hatched from an egg layed in the soil back in fla. so I have him in a 10 gal tank with some sticks to climb on, some soil mixed with peat moss, and a heat lamp for some heat.Yesterday i gave him the smallest crickets my pet store had and 2 wax worms. He hasn't eaten yet because it seams the food is much bigger than him. So if anyone has any suggestions at all they would be greatly appreciated. thnx, john

Re:Brown Anoles in my plants!

Hey WRK,

Thats a nice way to get a pet..LOL..

OK, if I was in your place I would try some pinhead crix as the staple diet. you could also offer small meal worms.. If you only have the larger crix, you may try crushing one of them on the head and see if he goes to eat it.. Don't leave bigger crix in with him, they could cause him damage.. Also keep the tank semi humid. Fla is a very humid area, so i am sure the anoles there like humity..

Good luck with him.. Hope this helps a little..
    Steve

Comment

Dont think any lizard is to small for Pin Head crickets, give em a try.

Comment

hey thnx for the kwik reply. the crickets are small so I will leave a couple in there w/him. He is just so tiny, about 1 inch long. So I hope he eats soon. As for humidity, the soil and peat moss are damp so that should be OK, plus I have a small flat plate with water that the crickets seem to enjoy more than the lizard does. Ill update if anything worthwhile happens, thnx again

Comment

update...... Last night I sliced up a banana and put a couple of pieces in the tank. If all goes well they should be covered in fruit flies soon, it never fails when my kids leave a half eaten banana on the counter so I'm hoping it'll work in the tank. I think the crickets might be too big, he hasn't gone near them at all. I'll update later on if something happens. - john-

Comment

wow the lizzy is only an inch long.. That is one tiny little guy.. Since he is wild caught, I am sure he is tressing like nuts.. Make sure he is in a low traffic area..

Good luck with him

Steve

Comment

Hey Steve, what exactly do you mean by tressing?- john

Comment

one more thing... what about lighting? My boa has periods of day and night. what does the anole need?thnx in advance- john

Comment

LOL Sorry, that was a type-O.. meant to put stressing...

Sorry about that
                  Steve

Comment

Another Idea for food, if you go to your local Pet-co, they sell flightless fruit flies. That would work well. Unless you breed them, pin head crix are almost impossible to come by. They are so cute when they are that small, aren't they?

Comment

thnx evil karot, I will try that . The banana experiment hasn't yielded as many fruit flies as I had expected, so I will try your idea. I did go to my local pet shop and out of the 10 crix I picked up, the anole could only eat 2 of them. The rest were just a little to big for him. So fruit flies it is.Thanx- john-

Comment

you could also try using mealworms put them in a deep enough dish were they can't get out of. as for lighting an anole is a diurnal (i think that is how its spelled) they are going to require a uv light a low watt basking light like 50 watt to keep the tank around upper 80's to low 90's or another would be a blue bulb.. such as this http://www.zoomed.com/html/daylight_blue.html to give you an example but not a red bulb as they don't produce an enough uv rays.. anoles like all diurnal lizard need those rays for health ....

Comment

Thnx Benttoe, a couple of days ago I did just that. I went to the reptile center near my house and they set me up with the heat and lighting I needed. I also found baby crix at the same place, so she's eating like crazy. I'll post some pics so you can see how small she is. -john-

Comment

Hey wrkstnx,
                            If there is a fish bait store anywhere close to you you may wan't to try litle red worms cut them into a few pieces and usually when the see the little pieces wriggling around they'll eat it. I've lived in florida for about 16 years and I never saw one of those guys drinking from standing water source they are dew lapers.. Meaning you should mist the cage lightly in the morning so he can lick the water droplets of the leaves ..the substrate should be moderately moist I wouldn't make it to damp and provide plenty of branches because these guys love to climb! Good Luck

Comment

Thnx Jason, I took Cuda's advice a couple of days ago and added lots of branches and some plastic leaves. You are right, she loves to drink off of the leaves. I mist it a couple of times a day. The reptile center near my house has plenty of tiny crix, so she eats pretty good. Here's a pic of the tank. thnx again, -john-

Comment

Working...
                              X