This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble in monitor town

Hey there, currently I own two savannah monitors, Felix and Oscar, I have noticed that Felix will not eat any crickets. Right now I have them in a 20 Gal Long tank and temps range from 100-105 on the hot side, to about 85 on the cool side, they have sand for substrate, several hiding spots and good basking spots that can get from 115-120 degrees or possibly hotter. Was wondering whats up with Felix possibly, his nostrals are clear but i have been guessing its RI (respitory infection) was wondering if anyone had any tips on what to do for these guys, thanks.

Vert

Re:Trouble in monitor town

Hello Veritas,

Welcome to the forums..

I am not a monitor expert by any means, but I do deal with them from time to time with my rescue.. First, let me suggest you get rid of the sand bedding, switch to newsprint for awhile. I never was a big fan of sand for young lizzards. it can impact their intestins and clog their nostrils.. While you are changing the bedding, soak the Sav is luke warm water. Only enough that it covers 1/3 to 1/2 of their body, not deep enough where they have to swim. Soak them for about 25 mins. Make sure the top of the soak tank is mostly covered to build humidity..

Return the savs in their tank and offer food. I will also lower that temp some. 115 is abit too high even for a basking spot.

One problem besides the temp, humidity and sand that could bge causing your problem, is you may have two males and one is dominating over the other one. You may need to split them up..

Hope this helped a bit..

Keep us posted how things work out..

Steve

Comment

Hello and welcome to the forum. Not to ride on sclarks coat tales but, GET RID OF THE SAND AND THE EXTREMELY HIGH HEAT. I wouldn't consider myself an expert on Monitors but, I have two savannahs myself in the same set up as yours. Keep in mind I hope you know you will need a bigger cage in less then 5 months. Also at adult size to properly house two savanahs togethor you will need an enclosure that measures 6'L 3'W 2'H. You've got quite a road ahead of you my friend. Use news paper. Its easy to clean, cheap, and you don't have to worry about your babies ingesting it. To boot sand tends to cake between there scales and clog there nostrils. HEAT: You should aim to maintain daytime temps between 82*F and 95*F, reducing this to about 60*F-68*F at night. In the home this can be accomplished by simply switching off the heat source and allowing the terrarium to cool to room temp, as long as this does not drop below 54*F. Huumidity: Savannah monitors do not require a lot of humidity they are fine at a low humidity level. Feeding: O.K. heres the deal are you feeding only crickets?? Maybe he doesn't want crickets. You can feed your Sav's a wide variety of things.
      Mealworms, wax worms, earth worms, eggs (hardboiled ), hamburger meat (with vitamin powder or calcium power added), chicken, and dog food (feed dog food sparingly as it is high in fat and you don't want a fat Sav). As your Sav gets bigger it will eat rats and all other goodies. To tell you the truth I haven't seen one pass up on food ever. They are quite the glutonis little creatures. Well, good luck if you have any more questions feel free to ask. My two Savs are healthy and active and have know problems and the methods above have been working great for me for months.

-jAySoN- ;D

Comment

Yeah, do what bigmitch said. Hey, hows your savs doin? Deisel is getting huge. When i first got him he was barely 5 inches now hes almost 11 inches long. I would say he is somewhere in the 2-3 month old range. What a monster. OK now for my opinion on bedding . I personaly use that calcicand on only 1 third of the tank cause thats where his basking spot is and i like how it gets nice and warm and keeps the heat. The other side is newspaper, and my monitor sleeps under the newspaper and thats the ONLY : place he will hide. For the feeding prob, something that has worked for me in the past was actually smashing the cricket to a point; just enough so that they could smell it and that seemed to work with my first monitor, and if all else fails then try SNAILS. they love snails, you can buy them in a can at petco and my monitor devours them.

Hope this helps a little bit

Randy

P.S. Your gonna need a MONSTER cage for the 2 monitors if you are planning on keeping them together. lol

Comment

Whats up Zack. My two Savs are great. There both kicking it at about 8" and in the 2 month old range. My Savs also like to sleep under the news paper. Although, I often find Tyson sleeping in the Water dish. Ohh , speaking of water make sure you change it daily. I know one of my little ones defacates in it every day. Savs have been known to defecate in there dishes and then drink the water this is not good so keep fresh water on hand at all times...Later

Comment

Yeah, the water is important. Deisel defacates in his water dish too.i change mine usually twice daily. Never found mine sleeping in the water dish but after he defcates in his water he has a tendency to splash it all over the side of the tank cwm8.gif Funny how all savs like the newspaper, i dont know why but i think since they were probably born then put into enclosures with newspaper they seem to like it throughout their whole life, which is good ;D

Randy

Comment

;D Yeah they sure do love the paper mine cruise around under the paper chasing each other around. Its wierd he sleeps in the water dish with his head out the side of the dish. I actually haave seen him a couple of time stay submerged for a good 6-10 mins I didn't time it but it was a long time. I love Savs I think there one of the best lizards around.

Comment

Yeah savs are fully equiped for aquatic life, even though they dont look it they can swim really good cause of their semi-flat tail. I used to soak my big one in the bathtub and when i wanted to take him out he would go underwater and think that i couldnt see him. He stayed underwater for a good 10 mins. Yeah savs are the best lizards out their in my opinion, they are smart, docile if handled a lot, and have their own little personalities. They only setback they have is the size of their cage. They need a huge cage when full grown, im building a cage that is
                8ftx3ftx2ft. That is just over the minimum size for sav, and some people recommend monitor-proofing a room and making that its cage. I dunno i gotta take some more pics to show how big hes gotten

Later

Randy

Comment

Thank you very much guys, I have changed the temps accordingly I knew that it sounded too high but some other idiots from another forum were preaching keeping the temps in the high 100's, anyways, i regret to say i had to give away my sick monitor to a rescue team, but the other is doing very well now, thanks for the imput, i was gonna ask if i could use topsoil for the cage, as i am trying to get the cage to look more natural, i heard from the other forum that this is an excellent substrate, but want to get your opinions before i buy anything else, if topsoil isnt good i was wondering if there are any other substrates i can use besides newspaper, price isnt much of an issue as long as i dont have to keep changing my substrate up, i've already switched it 3 times

Comment

Pea sized unwashed gravel works really well. Its almost like fish tank rocks. It holds heat well and can be washed and used over and over and over. To boot you don't have trouble with them ingesting it. Topsoil is okay but, I know mine would dig and I don't want to deal with the hassle of making a mess evertime I take my pair out.
                    Good luck. If you ever have more questions this is the place to ask . I'll be glad to help you out.

-jAySoN-

Comment

I used topsoil in my monitors cage and he was beside himself, i dont know why but he didnt like it he always seemed not up to par, so i switched to newspaper and that was the key, if your monitor is larger 1 foot+ then you can use sand because i dont think they will have a problem, just make sure its the calci sand stuff so it is digestible. I use sand and have never had a problem. Hope this helps ;D

Comment

Thanks, I wanted to mention that I don't think I'll really have to worry about them digesting the substrate because i dont feed them in their living cage, i have a seperate feeding cage that has newspaper for substrate so i can buy crickets in bulk, drop my dude in, he eats several 5-8 depending on how full he looks to me, then i take him out, it seems to work pretty well. So I donno, I guess ill look into the rocks and the top soil, thanks again for the help!

Comment

Working...
                        X