Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP me out..

Hello everyone,
    Its been a while since the last post I made.. So these pass few weeks i have been looking into different monitors. Like the Savannah, water, Nile, crocodile, and the desert monitors. I just will never understand why no one like the Nile monitor, people complain that they are aggressive and moody.. Really, you think LOL. try keep two ATBs that will bite your head off and two reticulated pythons you want to talk about moody. I believe we all have different experiences with animals and in life. Although this would be my first ever monitor, i`m not sure of which one i want. So how long can a monitor be in a 55 gallon tank, and do most of them reach 9 ft like the Nile. I do know the minimum is 6 ft for all monitors. Its kind of hard to get a good care sheet, everyone have there own ways of taking care of monitors. Oh yeah I almost forgot. My girlfriend is picking up a pair of sugar gliders next weekend. I am ordering there big cage on friday and the accessories that are needed. She is very excited, now is can play at home with them and not at the expo LOL. She is getting one male and one female they are newborns so they are tiny LOL.. But we both are excited, Man yall, I got a freaking zoo at my house Lol.. But time spend with my animals is priceless. Oh yeah my girlfriend one of the animals. Just do not tell her I said that LOL... Good day everyone and enjoy the rest of your week. I look forward to hearing from some of you! I got to go finish up some more research..
    sigpicJrock23

Re: HELP me out..

You want some real advice go to varanus.net, you'll get answered by the best of the best.Niles usually don't hit nine feet, don't even consider a croc unless you got room for a 20'x'10'x20' enclosure.The general rule of thumb is the length of the enclosure should be twice the size of the monitor so a 6 foot monitor needs a 12 foot long cage.The width of the cage should be the same length of the monitor so a 6 foot monitor, needs a 6 foot wide enclosure.Height should be about 6 foot period to allow for at least 2 feet of substrate, although that can vary depending on if it's an arboreal species, and the length and width may need to be bigger for the more active species like argus monitors.Calming and building trust with a monitor is totally different then a snake.

Comment

Originally posted by Jrock23 View Post
      Man yall, I got a freaking zoo at my house Lol
      Same here [MENTION=19975]Jrock23[/MENTION].

I have a good book on monitors/tegus. I have it packed away right now, I will dig it up and PM you the title. You have a good week as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jrock23 View Post
        I just will never understand why no one like the Nile monitor, people complain that they are aggressive and moody.. Really, you think LOL. try keep two ATBs that will bite your head off and two reticulated pythons you want to talk about moody
        Monitors are a whole other ball game. The difference in behavior and movement is huge, with handling large snakes you have to keep control over where their head is going and pay attention to where their body is moving. With the larger monitors you have to worry about everything, lol. Claws, teeth, and tail. I've never kept any of the larger monitors because like the larger snakes I simply don't have the space. But my friends ran a reptile rescue for a while and they had several large monitors, two niles, a croc, and a bunch of savannahs. People often get them when they're young not realizing the amount of space they need which is basically a small room when they're full grown. One of the niles was actually quite tame, his owner used to brag to brag about how it would hang out on the couch with him when he watched t.v. One night for whatever reason, the nile got spooked and decided it wanted off the couch and charged across the guy and ripped open his thigh. The guy was scared of him after that so he kept him locked in a cage for a year before finally giving him over to the rescue. They have a huge potential for damage even when they're not trying.

I'm not trying to dissuade you in anyway because I think monitors are amazing and I'd love to have one someday, although personally I find the tree monitors to be much prettier than niles or crocs. I would suggest doing a lot of research and maybe visiting some other forums that are geared towards monitors because I don't think we have many (if any?) people on this forum who keep the larger monitors. They do grow fast especially in the first 3 years, a 55 gallon tank is not going to last long. Most people who keep the larger monitors either build huge custom enclosures or just dedicate a small room for them. My friends who ran the rescue had a converted barn on their property where they built "rooms" for each of the monitors.
        “I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.” -DA
        www.outworldreptiles.com

Comment

[MENTION=14659]jOHNNY t[/MENTION] thanks buddy...
          sigpicJrock23

Comment

[MENTION=11504]Zaphod42[/MENTION] thanks for your input. I know it's a different ball game and I'm more of an adventure guy. I don't know, I guess I have or had any questions about the Nile. Only because there are so many people with bad experiences with them as well as bad reviews. I also know that monitors get big but not nearly as big as my retic will get. But I do understand what your say. Cause I read that after maybe 5-6 years they will need there own room.. But hopefully everything go's well, I will be moving into a bigger house and out of Chicago! Within 2-3 years tops LOL...
            sigpicJrock23

Comment

[MENTION=7727]jere000[/MENTION] thanks I will check it out... I read or I was told there different types of substrate makes them sick, not sure how true it is. Yes I agree with you on the crocodile, them guys are a hand full LOL. Yes indeed, earning there trust is different from a snake but I love what I do and I want the hands on experience. Instead of just being book smart. Something my teacher always said in class, he picks my brain alot because I'm the only one in class that actually has animals LOL..
              sigpicJrock23

Comment

Read Vital Exotics care sheet, and watch NERD's taming and trust building videos.I'm not even talking personality with the Crocs cage size alone, these are the longest monitors topping even komodo dragons(not in weight though).I already stated the rule of thumb for housing varanids, but bigger is always better.they are very intelligent as well, I have heard stories of crocs picking their lock on the cage 0.o

Comment

Hi there from Sunny Jamaica in the Caribbean. I really like to know that so many young people are as passionate about reptiles and animals in general, as I am.

Don't have monitors or know a lot about them but I certainly love them all including the Komodo Dragon! I saw one of these years ago at the Taronga Zoo in Sydney and was just blown away by the awesomeness of it!

I have 2 male Green Iguanas in an outdoor enclosure, also I have a number of the usual Ball Pythons, corn snake, boas and turtles.

Good luck and I look forward to reading more from you! This is a great site.

Comment

Working...
                  X