New addition - Timor monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New addition - Timor monitor

I've wanted one of these little guys for a really long time (at least 10 years). About a month ago I was out of town and there was one in a reptile shop. I wandered around the store for an hour debating whether I would get it or not, and ended up leaving with a milksnake instead. I told myself that if it were still there (and healthy) the next time I went there, I would get it.

This past weekend I was there again, and it was still there. It was fatter that it was before, and looked healthy. After talking them down 25 dollars over the missing tail tip, I brought it home. It's about 10", and in otherwise excellent condition. It made the ride home in subzero temps just fine in a cooler with heat packs, and I set it up. Yesterday was its first full day with me, and it came out and ate a few small superworms and basked under it's mercury vapor light for a while, then disappeared into a cork tube. It didn't come out today to eat any more, but I'm not too concerned-- it'll come out when it's ready.

What I did notice when it was out was that the 30 gallon long tank I'm using for a temporary home is way too small. When it's out, it's a very busy little animal, and looked cramped. My plan is to make it a cage, probably in about 2 weeks - 4' wide and tall, 2' deep, with a nice deep topsoil/sand mix for it to burrow in. I do have about 6" of this mix in the tank its in now, but thus far it's just hiding in a cork tube, and not burrowing.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics from the day I got it. I haven't been able to snap a pic of it in it's temp home yet, as I didn't want to scare it when I saw it out, so I stayed far away.

Super cool little animal! Sorry about the poor quality, they were cell phone pics in a dim room, trying to hold a squirmy little lizard with one hand and snap pics with the other . It's cute how it hisses all mean when you have to pic it up, but it's too little to do anything, and didn't even try to bite. It'll be mostly look but don't touch going forward. From the research I've done, these little guys really, really don't like being handled, and usually don't get used to it, so there's no benefit to either of us.

Re: New addition - Timor monitor

Peek!

Does not look impressed...

Comment

That's an awfully cute little bugger! Congratulations on finally getting one.
      http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

Thanks! Now I just have to impatiently wait for him to start coming out of hiding...

Comment

So, how big do they get, and will he eventually be able to cruise the house, or are they cage animals their whole lives?

Comment

They get to be roughly two feet, give or take. They're way too skittish and fast to cruise around-- mostly look but don't touch.

Comment

Originally posted by ophidia View Post
              They get to be roughly two feet, give or take. They're way too skittish and fast to cruise around-- mostly look but don't touch.
              Thanks for the info. He's a cool little dude.

Comment

Nice pick up.. Also do not focus handle your monitor, they are different from snakes lol... Read up on savannahmonitor.com website. U will also need an 8 ft cage.
                sigpicJrock23

Comment

Well, he's a stubborn little bugger. He won't eat crickets, he won't eat roaches, nor superworms, mealworms, nor waxworms. What he will eat is mice. I've been cutting up weanlings for him to keep the fat down (since pinks and fuzzies are so fatty) and he eats them just fine. I'm thinking if I'm on top of removing the fattiest parts, he should do OK on it. He just graduated to the cut up weanlings; I was cutting up fuzzies for a while, removing about 1/2 the skin, and the little milk-filled stomach. He's growing nicely and is out more. I have been catching him once a week or so to check toes, tail tip, mouth,skin, etc to make sure he's doing OK. He, as one would expect, HATES it, but I keep it short and non-traumatic as possible. He has two speeds-- hiding and OMG***BBQ!!!!!! He's a lot of fun to watch. And I love that he watches me back, that's one of my favorite things about monitors. So aware. Beardies are awesome pets but just so dumb. There's a lot more upstairs with this guy. I do wish he'd tame down, but I bought him with no expectation of him being a hand pet. My research beforehand indicated that they are far too high strung to be handled, and his behavior is bearing this out.

Comment

Cool! Thanks for the update.

Comment

He's a fun little dude. My recliner chair is about 10' away from his cage,and I can see him poking his head out of a small knothole in one of his cork tubes. He's staring at me quite suspiciously.

Comment

Have you tried a bit of hard boiled egg?

And yes, Timors are fairly shy monitors and do not do well with handling.

Comment

I scrambled up an egg and split it between him and my bird. His Royal Highness, the Monitor, considered my offering of egg and found it acceptable. So that's good .

Comment

I offer my ackie bits of hard boiled egg with the shell (extra calcium) and he goes nuts with it, lol

Comment

Yeah, I pulverized the whole thing in the blender before I cooked it, shell and all. His growth has really taken off, so he needs all the calcium he can get.

Comment

Working...
                              X