This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breeding Tokays ?

I was wondering if anyone out there has any personal experience in breeding Tokay geckos.
    I have been considering buying a male ,and giving it a try.
    Any ideas or advise would be welcome.
    Thanks
    Later on,
    Dan

Re: Breeding Tokays ?

I never had. but i have read that they are very protective parents. i would still try to remove the eggs if you do. if i leave my crested geckos hatch in with the parents they will be a snack real quick.

Comment

I don't really have any info about breeding, but If you succeed, I'd love to have a couple!!! ;D

Comment

No prob, Evil. If i decide to try breeding them I'll make ya a good deal ;D
        To me the tokays have the most character of all the gekos
        they are not scared to take on anything ,no matter how big it is.Ya, gotta respect that in a 10" long critter.

Later on,
        Dan

Comment

Besides that, they're very pretty colors and they bark!!! Gotta love a lizard that can speak to you!!!

Comment

Well , here I go again. I talked myself and Mary into trying to breed thee tokays . We found a nice little female at a shop last week.So as soon as she puts on some weight we're gonna give them a try.

Comment

Kool, let us know how it goes!!!!

Comment

Re:Breeding Tokays ?

From http://www.gekkota.com/html/gekko_gecko.html

Breeding:

Breeding can be encouraged by increasing the humidity, the photoperiod and the available food supply in the spring. Breeding females should always be provided with plenty of food and calcium supplementation, including a dish of calcium in the enclosure. This is a good time to give them an occasional pinky mouse as well.

Females will lay their eggs in clutches of two, usually on solid vertical surfaces. Tokays are egg gluers and they will often lay their eggs on the walls of the enclosure. These eggs cannot be moved without damaging them. However, it is easy to provide them with attractive alternative laying sites that can include large bamboo tubes, cork bark, or wood tubes. These can be removed from the enclosure for incubation.

Eggs incubated on slightly moistened vermiculite at between 80° to 86°F will hatch in anything from 60 to 200 days but with most hatching at around 90 to 100 days. Lower temperatures will lead to longer incubation time. These geckos' sex is temperature dependent, with higher temperatures leading to male hatchlings.

Thought you might be interested in this. I know that if I did get a male and a female yesterday, I might start trying to breed in a few months or so.

Comment

Working...
                X