This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Line Gecko Help Heat/Humidity/Plants

We acquired a White Line Gecko 4 days ago.  I've searched around for care sheets for the White Line Gecko and only found 2.  The problem is they have conflicting information.  I'm a real stickler for having things just right and want to have it just right for this little guy.  Below is 2 different requirements for heating/humidity that I've found:  

Heating Source 1:  Daytime temp 82-85, Night temps low 70's
    Heating Source 2:  Daytime 75-85, Night temps 70-75, Local Temp of 85-95

Humidity Source 1:  65-70% Humidity
    Humidity Source 2:  75% or higher

Our setup currently is: 10 gal glass tank with UTH and 75 watt red heat lamp, screened top, damp towel on 1/3 of screen to help bring up humidity.  We'll be adding a UV light to the enclosure soon.  He's eating well and shed the 2nd day we had him.  We've been misting several times a day to try to keep the humidity up, but it seems like a losing battle.  We've tried covering a portion of the screen top and get a raise in temp but the tank gets too hot.  Although playing around with the amount covered might help somewhat.

I've also read that live plants can be added to the setup to help with moisture, what types of plants are recommended?

Thanks for any tips & info you can offer!

~karen

Re: White Line Gecko Help Heat/Humidity/Plants

here is a link that i got  http://www.ter.nl/Engels/ter/artikel...ttatus_ENG.htm

if you try using their latin name  you might have a better responce.  Gekko Vittatus  hope this helps

Comment

A white line gecko or "skunk" gecko should have daytime temperatures ranging from 75-85 degrees.  A basking lamp should be at one end for temperatures between 85-95 degrees.  Nighttime temps can drop to between 70-75 degrees.

Humidity should stay at or above 75% for optimal living conditions for the white line gecko.

The enclosure needs a basking area with climbing branches, a  hiding area, and a cool area to allow for thermoregulation. Cork bark is popular to use with all geckos.

On reading about these geckos, most sources say to not handle them frequently because their skin is easily damaged.

Jeff J.

I don't use any plants with my geckos (although they are ok) so I'm not too familiar with the different kinds.

Comment

as far as plants go Pothos are the best. They are very hardy. i keep them with most of my geckos. leo dont have any plants with them...

Comment

Thanks to everyone for all the great info & ideas. I really like the idea of adding a plant to the setup. What would be the best way to root the plant in the tank?

Thanks!
          ~karen

Comment

I just plant them in a container and place it in the tank. that way i can remove it to hose it down (to remove the poop)

Comment

Working...
            X