This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tokays

As most of you know, I just got two tokays on Saturday from the Lee Watson Reptile show Near Chicago, IL. Well, I'm kind of worried about one of them. She is very thin and her skin is very loose. On her underside I can see her ribs and her hip bones. She doesn't seem to be very interested in eating any more either. Nor is she very active. I can actually reach in and hold her. At first I was hoping that was a sign of docileness, but Now I'm not really thinking so. The day I put them in the cage after the trip home they both just gobbled up everything that crossed their path, But now they don't want to eat at all. I'm being sure to gut load the crickets. I have a orange slice and some chicken mash in the container now with the crickets. I'm coating the crickets with some reptivit before feeding it to them as well. Last nite, since the same number of crickets were in the cage as there were Sunday nite, I figured they were not eating. I tried to force feed the skinnier one by throwing the cricket in her mouth as it was gapping open, I'm assuming trying to bite me. But as soon as she chomped down on it and I place her back down to finish eating that one, she'd spit it right back out. I'm really worried about her. I added a few more fake plants, a papertowel roll, and one of those doritos mini's containers in the tank for extra hides. Figuring maybe they are stressed because they don't have enough hides. But I don't know. I hope she eats soon. Any ideas from any of you?

Re:New Tokays

:'(Evil sorry to here its not doing well, most rep swaps are buy as is. as for what you can do is try to use wax worms or mushed up crix and you will have to coat them well with vita powder and force it to eat after you get the food in its mouth close its mouth and watch for it to swallow, try to place the item far back in the mouth.. More than likely it got overly stressed from transfer to the show then at the show and then another transfer to your house, NOT YOUR FAULT.. The dealer more than likely failed to see it wasnt doing well and should have never had them up for sale.. Anyways you can also try some banana baby food given to it by dropper on the side of its mouth, make sure you put the vita powder in that to, whats happening is its so stressed its failing to thrive, i get alot of critters come thru here like that and i try everything i can without causing more stress.. If anything try pedialite by dropper in the corner of its mouth one drop at a time so as not to get it in its lungs it needs fluids right away.. If you can get some kinda food down and it stays down this should help it to wana eat.. Other items you can try is newborn pinkie mice or night crawlers-earth worms or even canned cat food.. Have you found anything on line at all at any of the links i gave ya? I feel bad i wasnt standing next to you to advise you on what was ok and what wasnt... :'(

Comment

I never thought of canned cat food. I might try that when I get home. Should I try to feed it to her by spoon or just place it in the cage with it, since I don't have a dropper as of right now. How about mashed up real bannana? Do you think she might eat them? I know she's drinking, because I have seen her licking off the wall. Today, I sprinkled some reptivite in the cage itself and them sprayed it well off the walls and the extra plants I put in there. I was able to throw about two crickets actually in her mouth. It was kind of kool. I threw them in there and she snapped, then opened her mouth again and I saw the cricket actually crawl down into her stomach. It was kool, yet weird at the same time. I went to those sites you posted, some of the links inside the sites didn't work anylonger. but what I did find out was rather interesting. I wish there was something online like this forum for geckos. I mean Clay has done a very good job on this site, with the home remedies, basic and more in depth care, what to look for everything you could want to know about boas. Maybe if I keep looking I'll find something as good on Geckos of all kinds and then find some further assistance with my new babies. I've also been talking to the people on sSnakeSs.com, they've been some help as well.

Comment

Hey Evil,

Baracudda was telling me about your situation with your Tokay. I just thought of something that did help some under nurioushed young stripped gekos. I used this stuff called reptile apitite stimulate, something like that from Four paws. it really did work by the second day.. Its not real expensive, and maybe worth a try..

Good luck with your new Tokay's, and watch your fingers.,..
        Steve

Comment

Hey steve thanks for the advice. Where would I find that stuff? Any advice on what I can do untill I find that stuff?

Comment

Hey Evil,

I wish I knew more about lizards (Geckos). I do have a friend who used to breed them. I left him a message, so I hope to hear back from him by tomorrow. I will let you know what he suggests.

I do know I have had great luck with non-feeding Sav. Monitors by putting them in one of my snake feed containers with a couple inches of water and leaving them soak for 30 mins. After I did that I would towel them off, put them back and offer food an hour later. And almost like clock work they ate. But I am not sure how well that would work for Tokay's. The only one I dealt with was a pig and a nipper, spend 99% of the time stuck to the top side of the glass.

The Apitite stimulate was gotton at the local pet shop. They had two types, the type you put in their water and the type you spray on them. I was told the type you spray on them to spray on their belly and back.

If I think of anything else to try, I will post it..
            Good luck
            Steve

Comment

:-\ Evil, i dont think they will take cat food out of a dish and the banana nither, you can try it with a spoon, but be very careful not to damage the mouth area. The reason i sugested a dropper is because the baby food out of a jar is pretty liquidy, easy to lap. And the stuff Steve was talking about it is good stuff.. See if you can catch her intrest with a newborn pinkie mouse. If not try when she opens her mouth and when she snaps it shut on the pinkie kinda wiggle it alittle to make her think its live if you use a F/T pinkie.. Tokays like to eat in the dark to.. If shes lapping water keep misting where she can get as much as possible.. Have you tried Gecko Island or Dr. Gecko?? Theres a liquid human vitamin you can get out of just about any good store thats for babies or kids and it has a dropper in it, you can try that one drop out of the dropper for the gecko to lap on, also you can use the dropper for other things.. If you find this vitamin make sure its not extra iron..

Comment

Alright, I'll look for that this weekend. I'm going to try further force feeding of gutloaded crickets and some mashed up bananas too. Who know, maybe this one is a vegetarian!!! Who knows. I'm just so worried about the little guy. I was reading up on some sites and this type of action could be from 3 things. 1-Since one is doing OK and the other is not, I may have either two males or two females and on is the dominant and is not letting the other eat. 2-Just plain stress and sooner or later she'll snap out of it. Or 3-intestinal (spell) parasites. That's the one I really hope it's not. Now they have pooped a couple of times already, so I know one or both of them are pretty regular. I'll probably take a sample in this weekend, after I get paid again for a check up. Maybe that'll tell me something.

Comment

This weekend, I'm going to look for a dropper, the reptile appetite stuff, get some pinkies and meal worms. Hey, do you think that if I just waved the banana in front of her and let her take bites off it. Do you think that'll work? I'm willing to try anything. I'll try the cat food for the time being and the banana. I'm thinking of stuff I have at the house that might help in any way!!!!!! :-\ :'(

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your tokay, evil. Hopefully, it just hasn't had a chance to eat, and doesn't have much of an appetite now. The sad thing is, very few people want to breed defensive geckos, like tokays. There's just not as much of a market for them as there is for leopards and cresteds. So, a large percentage of tokays that come into the pet trade are wild-caught, which means they are frequently parasite-ridden. This may be the case with your tokay, and why it's not eating, seeming dehydrated, and losing weight. For now, just keep trying to feed it and get it rehydrated. Most geckos, particularly arboreals, aren't familiar with the concept of drinking out of a bowl, so, perhaps you could mix water and pedialyte (for babies) and mist the cage and the gecko, and she probably would lick up the droplets. I don't know about the swinging banana idea. Sounds like it could be something stressful to her. In this state, stress is the last thing she needs. I would provide a little dish elevated somewhere in the cage with peach or banana baby food and hope she licks it up. My feeling is that she is likely to have parasites. So, in this case, I think a vet trip for both geckos (to be on the safe side) is warranted. If possible, bring fecals from both geckos for a fecal exam. Best of luck.

Bry

Comment

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( Well, sad news, I came home last nite and went in to check on her and she had died. :'( :'( :'( We buried her last nite under a large tree by our house. We hadn't even given her a name yet, so we decided on Angel!!! Poor girl, she didn't even have a chance!! We tried everything, but she died anyways. Now the one is in there all by herself. We'll have to get her a friend soon. Thanks for all your help and ideas. :'( :'( :'(

Comment

:'( :'( :'( :'(Oh Evil, im sooooo sorry to here that.. :'( :'( I feel for ya bud big time, thats so sad.. :'( :'( How is the other one doing?? Hang in there bud and maybe the other one will turn out to be best tokay you will ever have..

Comment

Yeah, that's what we're hoping. Poor little guy. Lily just absolutly busted down crying. She was having a bad day any ways and that just topped it!!! She was so torn up about it. But sooner or later, we'll get her a new friend and she won't be lonely. As soon as we can we are taking a fecal sample to the vet to make sure she aint' sick too.

Comment

Hey Evil,

Very sorry she didn't make it.. You did everything you could. Just concentrate on the other one now.. Nothing more you could have done...

Steve

Comment

Yeah, I know there wasn't anything further I could have done. It was going to happen. I just have to keep telling myself, that for the last few days of it's life, we did everything we could and showed it as much love as we could. It's still quite sad. I hate it when a new pet dies on you. :'( :'( :'( Thanks for all of your condolances. We just need to find what sex the one is, so we can get a boyfriend or girlfriend for it. Who knows, maybe someday we'll have little babies and be able to love them and hand tame them.

Comment

Working...
                              X