This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plants for Gecko cages

What live plants have you all put in your gecko cages? I was looking at Wal~mart the other day and really couldn't find anything that would be strong enough to hold my tokay. I would really like to place a live plant in the tank, but I just wanted to know what you all have placed in that was 1:stong enough and 2:safe for the Gecko. I did see some Bamboo shoots there and was thinking about getting one of those and letting it grow, untill it outgrew the tank. But I wanted something more leafy. Looking for Ideas.

Re:Plants for Gecko cages

pothos are the standard... you can twist tie them to a branch or some dryed baboo... they live with lil' to no light. and hardly any water or way too much water... they are perty darn nice... that is what I use with my crested.... By them selfs they will have a problem holding a good sized tokay but if you tie it to stuff then there should be lil' to no problems....
    That is all I can say...
    Eric aka...Red

Comment

Do you have any pix of what those type of plants look like?

Comment

OK, I found a pic. In case some of you all don't know what they look like either, here's a pic. Now for the question, how do you tie them to things, with out breaking the leaves off?

Comment

use twisty ties or string and tie the stem of the plant to stuff... it will hold..
          Eric aka...Red

Comment

8)Hey Evil, Reds right Pothos work great, they come in a variety, like marbled queen which is a marbling of yellow or white, theres also one called silver queen.. I also use mother in laws tounge but a small one and also you can use Philadendrons, Emarald queen which is in the philadendron family it has longer darker leafs and is very sturydy vine, and if you can find one small enough a bird of paradise plant looks cool, also the swiss cheese plant - Monstera, buy any chance do you have a Franks nursery by you or a green house that has a good variety of house plants? You might want to check there.. As far as light for the plant goes if ya use a small watt plant bulb it will work great for the plants and also it usualy has UVB. a few hrs a day in your plants will grow great in the gecko cage...

Comment

I just thought I would share with you a small piece of information about the philodendron plant. The following is an excerpt from the website:

http://jajhs.kana.k12.wv.us/amazon/philo.htm

"I don't recommend getting a philodendron if you have small children or any kind of small domestic animal who could get hold of any part of this plant. I have put in this suggestion because the whole plant is very poisonous. If eaten or put in your mouth you could get burning of the mouth and throat, swelling of the tongue, nausea, vomitting and diarrhea. Although, handling the plant is perfectly safe."

Unless you have a lizard that just loves to eat plants, this one should be safe to use, just exercise caution!

Jeff

Comment

8) Well even tought it may state that they are poisonous i have had these plants in my house for way many yrs and dogs, cats and other animals have chewed on them with no ill effects what so ever.. Most gecko breeders use the pothos and philodendrons in with there geckos. There are other plants you still can use depending on the size enclosure.. These pics will help give you an idea.. Heart shape Philodendron, i have several of these plants that i have used in cages with no ill effects..

Comment

8)Another Impireal Red, philodendron family, another one i have in my house...

Comment

8)And another, monstera swiss cheese plant, i have lots of these and one thats just huge growing on my kitchen island that i let my critters play on....

Comment

8)Heres pothos that i have, these are not my pics but this is some of the ones i use in cages for frogs or geckos..

Marbled Queen..

Comment

8)Another that i have several of in my house and use for cages.. Neon green..

Comment

This one to i have several of and use... Devils Ivy.. Its also a potho..

Comment

8)And these last two are others i have in my house and have used... Parlar Palm..

Comment

And the corn plant... Looks just like one to except for the white boarders on it, some have yellow..

Comment

Working...
                              X