New Savanna Monitor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Savanna Monitor.

So I just picked up my new Monitor. I've owned a Tegu before, and i've looked over care sheets, but I was wondering what advice people could give me about raising this little guy. I'm taking him out daily to acclimate him to human touch, but beyond that I'm not sure what will help. Does anyone use separate feeding enclosures? Certain foods that are better than others? I know what I need to make him a comfortable monitor, but I want him to have the same quality of life that my snakes have. Advice?

Btw, right now he's about 3 inches long nose to tail. Tank is being kept at 80-90 with basking spot at 100. Humidity right now is high due to new Husk bedding. And I'm feeding him gut loaded crickets.

Re: New Savanna Monitor.

YOU GOT THE MONITOR AND YOU DIDNT CALL ME!!!!!!!!

That's awesome Tim!!!

-Zach

Comment

Your temps are to low!It should be 130F at the hottest point, provide a soil/sand mix keep it moist.They hydrate when they're buried in the substrate and don't utilize the dish very much.Whole food items are them most important part of feeding them, they need supplementation occasionally as well.Be prepared for a 6x3x3 at the minimum enclosure as well.The general rule for monitors is length should be twice the size of the animal and width and height should be the same size as the monitor.that can vary depending on how active the animal is or if it's arboreal.Check varanus.net and ask there, you'll get the best advice there.

Comment

Do I have to use real sand? I worry about it when it comes to small lizards. Can I use ground walnut and soil? Or does it need to be proper sand mixed in? Also, what will give the best heat conductance. I'm having a hard time getting my temps any higher.

Comment

Congratulations!

Pics please!

Comment

PICTURES!

Comment

Use play sand, it holds a burrow real well.I believe you can use a flood light, but not a spot light the heat is to concentrated.As an adult use multiple flood lights that go the length of the lizard for proper basking.

Comment

Congrats, & nice pics... Looks so tiny LOL
                sigpicJrock23

Comment

So, with snakes, I've always just given them as much attention as possible in order to quell aggression. This works pretty well I think for Red tails especially. The more comfortable they get, and the more they realize that I'm not gonna hurt them, the less likely they are to be defensive or aggressive. But I'm not sure if the same is true or monitors. The little guy seems to hate being picked up right now and by the time I put him back in his tank he's actively trying to nip my fingers. When I pick him up, I hold him in my hands and give him very light pets like I would a snake. What should I do differently to help ease his tension?

Comment

He is a very cute little guy!

I do not have extensive lizard experience, but we have had numerous geckos and a few Blue Tongue skinks.

For now I would continue the handling sessions light handling sessions, but knock out the petting and additional contact during handling. Just let him do his thing in crawling around your hands and from one hand to the other. Keep the sessions brief and low stress (ie: quiet and calm environment with little other movement nearby).

Once he is more calm and collective in your hands, then you can slowly increase the physical contact with the petting, introduce background noise like the tv, slowly introduce having someone else nearby and even allow him to move from one person's hands to the other's, etc. In a lot of ways, it is similar to conditioning a boa for handling.

Just keep in mind, just like with boas, you will sometimes come across one that is simply a jerkweed and does not want to be handled at all. Hopefully that is not the case with this little guy.
                    "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

If you want to know about handling watch the NERD monitor socializing videos.

Comment

[UPDATE] Thank's for the replies. Hopefully I'll have a chance to try these techniques out on my future monitors. This little guy passed away yesterday. He went into seizures in the early afternoon. By nightfall, he had died.

Comment

Most savs are wild caught and without proper heat and hydration from import and pet stores they tend to have internal damage.

Comment

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Hopefully, if you decide to add another one in the future, things will go much better with it.
                            "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

I am sorry for your loss. It is never easy to deal with. I hope once you heal you will try another one hopefully you can find a heathy baby. I know nerd reptiles has some awesome videos on YouTube about how to care and tame monitor.

Comment

Working...
                              X