Nano Reef- Another addiction, eh hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nano Reef- Another addiction, eh hobby

Now that I have a break from college I can finally enjoy some of my favorite forums. Let me first say that Pepper (a Hypo Jungle female I purchased from Zamora) is doing fantastic, and getting quite big already. She is nailing rats every 10day and is the most inquisitive snake I have ever had.

I have another addiction that I got back into recently, saltwater/reef keeping. I missed my old system so much and finally got another going. So now that this hobby sucked all my money away, I don't want to waste time babbling on about the system, so let me show you guys some pictures. There has to be some fish lovers on this site.

Thanks for stopping by, I hope to be more active here

​Australian Gold Torch Coral

Green Favia Coral

Yuma Mushroom

Acans

Re: Nano Reef- Another addiction, eh hobby

Hey, it's been a while! I can see why you're fascinated with salt-water reefs, very nice! Glad to hear your boa is doing so well too (& not at all surprised).

Comment

Quick crappy shots I just took of her. (that red thing to the right is a plastic sheet I put down for feeding so no dirt gets in her mouth. She ate last night)

She is growing really long, I suppose she will be starting to bulk up within the next year. She is about 4' 3" right now. Very strong animal.

Her tail end, in the worst lighting possible hehe.

Comment

She's got a beautiful color from what I can see. What a good snake-mom you are!

Comment

That looks great. I've always wanted a nano reef, but I have a tendency to get really excited and go full out on fish tanks, then gradually lose interest until it's more of a chore than it is enjoyable. It's happened a few times, and every time I tell myself it's going to be different. That being said, I haven't tried a nano reef yet, so maybe it really will be different this time!
          sigpic

Comment

Saltwater can be so addicting. I've got a few nano reefs, just revamped them this year after almost a year of neglect after I lost a ton of corals for some reason. I'm happy I stayed in though, it's really fascinating to me. I love that gold torch of yours, that's been on my want list for years. Currently I've got a 10 gallon with nps, 20 gallon lps and a 12 gallon tank for a hitchhiker urchin I can't seem to pawn off on anyone. Which sadly is the 2nd time I have set up a tank for an unwanted invert.

Comment

Can you post a pic of the whole tank? Just curious.
              sigpic

Comment

Love the tank and it's occupants! Good to 'see' you around here again too. I'm so happy that Pepper is doing well for you, you should get me some good pictures of her while you are on break. LOL
                http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

Originally posted by natieb View Post
                  Can you post a pic of the whole tank? Just curious.

Here is one from the other day. I have been slowly adding more and more coral and can't wait to see this thing packed full. However, in this hobby patience is key and moving too fast almost always leads to major problems. This tank is more fun than my old 29gallon because of its size. It is so much easier to take care of. I have some videos too, but they aren't too great...

Comment

Originally posted by GoingPostal View Post
                    Saltwater can be so addicting. I've got a few nano reefs, just revamped them this year after almost a year of neglect after I lost a ton of corals for some reason. I'm happy I stayed in though, it's really fascinating to me. I love that gold torch of yours, that's been on my want list for years. Currently I've got a 10 gallon with nps, 20 gallon lps and a 12 gallon tank for a hitchhiker urchin I can't seem to pawn off on anyone. Which sadly is the 2nd time I have set up a tank for an unwanted invert.
                    Thanks! I love the torch as well. The gold torch corals have been on my list for a long time too. This guy is three large heads and was only about $120, so I got a good deal I think. You have a bad hitch hiker? Check out Nano-reef, its a great community there, much like this one but for reef hobbyists! They can help you out and have some extremely knowledgeable people there.

Comment

Originally posted by zamora View Post
                      Love the tank and it's occupants! Good to 'see' you around here again too. I'm so happy that Pepper is doing well for you, you should get me some good pictures of her while you are on break. LOL
                      Will do! She has been nothing but perfect. Her coloring is has really started to come out in the past few months and she has a great personality. She does have a crazy appetite though, so hook training was a must so I don't get bitten reaching in the tank. I swear its only food on her mind.

Comment

Just figured I would show you guys how pretty some of these corals can be.. I just spent all my money at the fish store on some new pieces.

This is an Elegance Coral from Australia. These guys are very very hard to keep and the majority of specimens will die within the first month. However, there a people who have had great success with them, and it was so pretty I needed to try it.

Comment

I love elegance corals! Never really had the space for one and hate to take the risk but man when you get a healthy one they are amazing. I hope it does well for you. I'm on nano-reef too, same username although not super active.

Comment

Originally posted by GoingPostal View Post
                            I love elegance corals! Never really had the space for one and hate to take the risk but man when you get a healthy one they are amazing. I hope it does well for you. I'm on nano-reef too, same username although not super active.
                            Small world. Do you still have a tank currently?

I also picked up some "Rasta Zoanthids." These guys go for about $6 per polyp since they are so pretty but slow growers. I found 20 polyps for $40 at my coral store! each polyp is probably the size of a pencil eraser. White balance is a little off since the lights were just coming on. But rastas are extremely bright in normal lighting. Well worth the price, I hope they do well.

Comment

I've got three salty and two freshwater up right now, pretty low tech setups. This is my main reef at the moment, I decided to focus on a limited amount of corals to limit fighting and competition so cleared out a lot of stuff, it's tough picking favorites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X