Our new Amazon Milk Frog.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our new Amazon Milk Frog.

My girlfriend got this little guy a couple of weeks ago and I forgot to post some pics, well a dart frog post and PappaE's interest in these animals (as evidenced in the Tinley pics posts) reminded me so with no further delay, please welcome Frankie Four Fingers!!!

This one gives a fairly good idea of his colors, they start out black white and blue, as they mature they fade to grey, light grey, teal color

This one is clearer but the colors are off, he's not nearly as brown and green as this looks. They also do seem to change color throughout the day.

They are really easy to take care of, they don't need any heat lamps or UTH as long as the room is 75 degrees or so, the enclosures don't need to be cleaned extremely often (once a month is good) spot cleaning is a snap. The only thing we have to do everyday with him is misting, but you can set up the enclosure with foggers and auto misters to cut down on maintenance. We have a waterfall and a fogger and mist twice a day. Feeding time (every two days) is great. He's eating crickets right now and they pounce on their prey and sometimes do this really neat mouth wiping thing when they get one. When they get full grown you can feed them...Pinkies!! Is that nuts!? This one doesn't make any noise and is larger than the other ones they had so we thinks it's a female. They are an amazing 'display pet' they move around alot and if you get a male they will call out. They do however secrete a poisonous 'milky' froth when they feel threatened and they are very sensitive to oils, soaps etc... that may be on your hands so handling isn't necessary or recommended, just use a net most of the time, handling occasionally to get a sooper cute, on the finger shot.
    Thanks for lookin,

Mat.

Re: Our new Amazon Milk Frog.

Very cool. DO you have pics of its enclosure?

Comment

Originally posted by chaosboa View Post
      Very cool. DO you have pics of its enclosure?
      UGGGGHHHHH....I'm trying to have my morning coffee here, jeeze you're needy. LOL back in a minute I'll snap a couple right now, in the meantime though it's an 18" x 18" x 24" tall ExoTerra one with the double doors.

Comment

thats a real cool frog man and ya i would like to see enclouser pictures

Comment

Ooooo pretty! Congrats!

I love the coloring, and the pattern through the eye is awesome!

Count me in as one more request for seeing the enclosure.

Comment

... and due to mildly popular demand (lol) some enclosure pics...

Front view..

Left side waterfall shot..

Right side..

We got a really good deal on the enclosure and decorations, the store owner let her pick out whatever she wanted for $250 basically, which included a PE-1 temp gun for me and everything in the pics.

Thanks for lookin,

Mat.

Comment

awesome looking setup are you just using reptile soil?

Comment

Originally posted by MSwift View Post
                awesome looking setup are you just using reptile soil?
                Can't remember the mane of it exactly, but it's just ground coconut husk. Comes in a brick you just add water and mix it. May start using something different soon or maybe tub feeding on wet paper towels. Many of the young have to be fed that way because they have a hard time seeing the prey in the enclosure. I'm also not too keen on the idea of her ingesting so much of this stuff every time she eats or sheds. It's supposed to be safe and in the wild she'd be eating all kinds of dirt (maybe even aids in digestion) but I may at least cut down on the amount we're using and replace with stones or something.

Comment

Very cute frog! I used to have one, but unfortunately she died about 2 months ago (still don't know what happened ). I'd really like to get another one someday soon and your pictures are encouraging me to start setting up a new enclosure (his old one is now occupied by an adorable little anole)...lol.

Oh, and it looks (and sounds) like you're using EcoEarth.

Comment

Working...
                  X