Looking for a frog... Help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a frog... Help please

I was kinda thinking about getting a frog... I dont know much about them, I dont know where to start, I dont know any good sites(and have tried finding some- To no avail)... anybody have any pointers.... I saw that mil frog on the thread posted below this one and that thing looks SICK, Where can I find some breeders at? Any help is greatley appreciated.... Thanks guys

Re: Looking for a frog... Help please

Frogs are pretty awesome display pets they are really active and fairly easy to care for. I think it's my Milk frog you were talking about. Finding breeders for those is proving very difficult for me, ours came from a rare European line. Red eyed tree frogs are also neat and can be found fairly easily. They have morphs in the Red Eye line as well, Albino, Axanthic Leucistic etc.. but they are fairly pricey. Erik's Reptiles That is a link to a breeder of RETF moorphs, but for some reason he only has geckos up on his site right now. Here are some pics of the frogs he breeds in the faunaclasifieds

Albino, Xanthic, & Black Red Eyed Tree Frogs! - FaunaClassifieds

I can also help locate care sheets for you if you do end up getting one. As far as finding breeders just keep checking fauna and kingsnake and your local shows, but if you want a Milk like I have it's not going to be as easy as say a RETF or a Pac Man frog.

Mat.

Comment

Thanks for that bit of info dude... Yeah I am really interested in that milk frog... but I am also located in alaska .... so shipping my limit me as well, lol. And yeah, That was you're frog I saw by the way..... VERY VERY AWESOME

Comment

oh yeah... I forgot to mention Mat, I am not really a big fan of the Red Eyes.... the normal Red eyes are pretty cool.... but you're Milk is off the charts!!

Comment

Have looked at dart frogs. The are really easy to care for and readilly available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have been looking at a few dart frogs yeah... I still need to continue my research... but to be quite honest... I want something not alot of people have... and the one thing that caught my eye with the amazon mil frog was the "desert camo" kinda look..... I LOVE that... I still have plenty of research to do though... when I get one (posibly 2) of these guys... they will be strictly eye candy. I have read up a little on the frogs and a lot of them are really not suposed (correct me if I am wrong) to be held or are very sensative to oils and toxins, soaps, etc.

Comment

You are absolutely right about not handling too much. They can be very sensitive to oils and soaps etc.. like you mentioned but also specifically in the case of th Amazon Milk they can also be poisonous. The Amazon Milk gets it's name from the frothy milky poison it secretes when frightened. I have heard that they typically lose this ability over time and captive bred ones are rarely capable of producing it. Still though I rarely handle Frankie and when I do I try to make sure not to startle her. If you like the Milk you will probably also like the Clown Tree Frogs http://www.reptilesncritters.com/ima...-tree-frog.jpg that one is a Surinam I beleive. They seem to be more widely available. I'm still trying to find you some breeders for the milks but from all the WANTED: Amazon Milk, advertisements I'm seeing on the classifieds so are a lot of other people. I plan on breeding when I can get ahold of some males and I don't think these are on the C.I.T.E.S. list so worse case scenario is you wait a while till I can send some out. Since I had to clean out her enclosure I thought I'd grab a couple pics, so heres Frankie enjoying her freshly cleaned digs

Mat.

Comment

Very awesome dude... Yeah, well before I do anything... I will hit you up just to see whats going on with you're guys. It may or may not be a while before I get my hands on something.... One quick question... Can these be housed with others of the same breed?

Comment

Originally posted by atreyu rokks View Post
                  Very awesome dude... Yeah, well before I do anything... I will hit you up just to see whats going on with you're guys. It may or may not be a while before I get my hands on something.... One quick question... Can these be housed with others of the same breed?
                  Yes they can be housed communally and even fed together. Typically for a breeding group you would try to have a few males in with one female. People had trouble with figuring out how to breed them in captivity until it was discovered that they only breed in the water of large holes in the trunks of trees. There are some good videos on youtube of Milks and now that I think about it I'm pretty sure someone mentions some breeders somewhere. This is a neat little communal feeding video, it was the first time I had seen one eat since our girl was kinda shy the first week.

YouTube - Amazon Milk Frogs

There was also a video of a full grown female eating a pinky mouse but I can't seem to find it right now all I seem to get is Pac Mans eating pinkies lol. So heres this little vid instead but there alot more on youtube showing set ups etc...

YouTube - Rana lechera del amazonas (Trachycephalus resinifictrix)

P.S. I just found six sub adults in my city so I'm trying to get that together asap. I just have to free up one of my 75 gallon tanks and I'll be set to grab my new frogs.

Mat.

Comment

Working...
                  X