Red Eared Slider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Eared Slider

Ain't this cute. Its a baby Red Eared Slider that my niece got today. I wanted to help her out so I'm giving her a 30 gal. aquarium for it but I was wondering how to care for it so I can tell her so she has no problems. First, how should she set up the aquarium. I know they like to be in water alot but sometimes they like to be out of it too. Also, I was told that a turtle should have three sorces of water in its aquarium, one for poo, one to drink and one to swim. Could she just fill the bottom of the aquarium and use a underwater filter sorta like a fish aquarium but not as full? Maybe put like rocke to climb up on? Please give me some ideas about how to set up the aquarium. Also what do they eat? She's giving him these tablets but i'm pretty sure they could eat crickets or something live like that, right? And finally, how big can they get, I'm pretty sure that this 30 gal. is big enough for it. All the info about this turtle and the care for it would be appreciated. I'm pretty certain that CUDA will answer this one. LOL 8)

Re:Red Eared Slider

Here are some pics.

Comment

.....and another 8)

Comment

8)Ok Jay im in on this one, first off wow thats tiny and cute , hope its over the 4 inch size dude.. also make sure because of its size you always wash befour and after touching it.. Now as far as the cage goes thats good size for now and as the turtle gets bigger you wana up the tank size. They need a water area or the whole tank water but with a place to get out of the water you can use rocks but make sure they are well in place dont want any mishaps and the turtle getting squashed. anyways ther are lots thing out on the market for a turtle to climb out of the water to sun its self put a lamp with a small watt bulb at one end of the tank to where its basking site will be, but not close enough to toast the turtle or fall in the water.. for water please get a fish filter that will clean the water as it gets dirty and some water plants as well.. for food tutrles like all kinds things, they have so many varieties out on the market for sliders and other turtles and you can also add tiny tiny gold fish or tadpoles and they like night crawlers as well, there is also tubfex dried worms and shrimps you can get from the pet department. Im trying to think of the name of the vitamin you can get for the baby also, as soon as i remember il post it for yaz.. hope this helps.. Just remember to wash!!

Comment

Hey Jay,

Becareful showing that little guy off too much.. Under 4 inches is a direct offence with the CITES laws.. And like Cuda mentioned, be real careful about anyone handling that baby, they need to super scrub their hands.. Baby turtles are not allowed in schools anymore due to the super high content of samanila. The last few years there were many cases of kids getting so sick they were hospitalized and two died that I read of.. So make sure your niece is real careful..

I have seen setups like Cuda mentioned, I can only tell you what I did when I had a slider, many years back..

I had a 36x16x16 tank setup, filled 1/2 way up with water, I also ran a flat filter on the bottom of the tank (made for turtle setups) and had a rock on one end of the tank the slider could climb out and bask.. I Used some type of floating fish pellets as the staple diet, but also offered goldfish and some bugs to mix the diet.. I recieved some JurassiPet floating food for aquatic turtles.. Looks perfect for them.. I know they need extra calcium or their shell will get soft like leather. I am almost positive this aquatic turtle food has extra calcium and vitas in it.. Also they do require a UVA and UVB bulb..

Hope this helps..
          Steve

Comment

Thanks steve and cuda for the info. I'm gonna help her set everything up so she has no problems. If I have anymore questions I'll let ya know. ;D 8)

Comment

Working...
            X