Tort death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tort death

My 11 year old son's 2012 Golden Greek died today. She has been active, a good eater, etc. Got her in July. Soaked her a few times a week (2-3). Dusted her salad with calcium most days. Spring mix and tortoise pellets for food. Basking area was about 94. Temp gradient from 94 all the way out to 68. Plenty of room to regulate temps. Cypress substrate. Hides available in warmth and shade.

When I found her, her belly had turned dark, and seemed soft.

Can anyone shed some light on what happened? Things to look out for before trying again?

I'm strictly a boa guy, so the tort help for my son is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Boa Amarali; 11-29-2012, 05:30 PM. Reason: Fixed font color to makew visible in more RTB skins

Re: Tort death

Ken I'm sorry I have no help or experience with Torts at all . . . .

Lar M
    Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Lar. My son has been doing an exemplary job with husbandry. This was a very sad surprise.

Comment

Serious bummer for the lad. I would lie to know as we are getting a sulcatta soon, so all knowledge I can get would help too!

Comment

I have no clue, I've never kept tortoises. Sorry to hear about this though, it must have been very disappointing, especially for your son when he was doing such a good job and knew what the tortoise needed.

If it's ok with you, I can pass your question along to some people I know in town that run a turtle/tortoise rescue group and let you know what they think.

Comment

Originally posted by ScaleyWonders View Post
            If it's ok with you, I can pass your question along to some people I know in town that run a turtle/tortoise rescue group and let you know what they think.
            I would greatly appreciate that. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X