• Ardfarkl
    replied
    Re: Baby red eared sliders!

My advice, don't turn on the stove!

Leave a comment:

• marya1962
    replied

I have since tried moving food, floating food, cat food, turtle food, cheerios-nothing has worked yet. Currently working on lighting problem. Also, the space problem- there's no where to put them but on the stove right now. Thanks everyone. Keep the advice coming; I need it badly.

Leave a comment:

• monkeywrench133
    replied

Originally posted by AaronZav View Post
    UVB bulbs decline in output over time so they need to be replaced a couple of times a year. I think the common practice is to change the UVB bulb out every 6 months.
    Florescent UV tube lights are only effective for about a month, then the coating degrades rapidly. They're basically worthless in 3 months.

Compact florescent bulbs do better for some reason, but 6 months is the max you'll get out of them.

Sunlight really is the best, so if you can set them outside for a couple hours a day, that's probably the best practice.

Leave a comment:

• AaronZav
    replied

They probably are still absorbing some of their agg contents. And I am sure they will start to feed shortly. I would give them light longer than 8 hours a day, I would attempt to give them a natural amount of day and night time. They need more than an incandescent light for sure. These are basking animals and definitely require a bulb that produces a fair amount of UVB rays. Usually a compact flourescent over the basking spot will do. UVB bulbs decline in output over time so they need to be replaced a couple of times a year. I think the common practice is to change the UVB bulb out every 6 months. Best of luck to you!

Leave a comment:

• marya1962
    started a topic Baby red eared sliders!

Baby red eared sliders!

Help! Totally new to turtles. Hatched 4 days ago. Not eating turtle food put in the enclosure. Are they still digesting their egg yolk from their egg? What do I feed them if not commercial turtle food? Am providing them with 8 hours of incandescent light daily. Do they need heater? Does it have to be sunlight for basking?
Working...
X