Cat has rash, please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat has rash, please help

My cat Dinah developed a rash about a week ago in its armpit. I went to the pet store and bought some spray that is anti-fungal and anti-itch for her. The active ingredients are Benzyl Alcohol 2% and Benzalkonium glycol .05%. Anyway, I would spray it on her and she would immediately lick it off. So i went to the pet store again and bought some bitter apple spray. I sprayed the anti-itch, sprayed the bitter apple, and again she just licked and licked and licked again. The bitter apple spray did not deter her at all. if anything she was more determined to get the nasty flavor off her fur. I would spray her twice a day and put an e-collar on her for about an hour, until it dried. after a couple of days it was looking a bit better, so I stopped spraying and figured it would just go away. well I checked on her yesterday, and now it has spread up her arm almost to her elbow, and it looks like it is starting on her other elbow.

What we have decided to do at this point is keep the e-collar on her all day other than 15 minute intervals to let her drink and eat. Also, we are spraying her three times a day. Yesterday was her first full day and this morning it looks less red, but it hasnt receded at all. I think it is less red because she hasnt been licking it.

My question is, are we doing the right thing at this point by trying to treat it ourselves? Should we go to the vet and get her checked out? Its so terrible for her in that E-collar, she literally just lays in the same spot all day.

also, based on the pictures, has anyone else seen anything like this? I tried looking for pics online to compare them to, and I never found a match... EDIT: I want to add that we dont have fleas in Utah, so its most likely not that. I guess its not that we dont have them, but they are extremely rare, and Dinah is a house cat.

Re: Cat has rash, please help

First, I recommend you get a flea comb and comb her thoroughly down her back to her tail base and even her belly. Look for fleas or "flea dirt" (you can tell flea dirt from other dirt by putting it on a white paper towel and then sprinkling water over it. If it turns red, it's flea dirt). I know you said there aren't many where you are but FAD (flea allergy dermatitis) is the #1 reason for breakouts like this and cats don't have to go outside to get them. Second, any new chemicals used in the house recently? Exposure to carpet powders or shampoo etc? Third, cats can and do get allergies the same as we do. A vet visit is in order if there is no improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Vet Tech View Post
      I know you said there aren't many where you are but FAD (flea allergy dermatitis) is the #1 reason for breakouts like this and cats don't have to go outside to get them.
      I did a little checking around and it would seem that you are correct in stating that fleas are rather scarce in Utah. I would still check her. A 99 cent flea comb is far less expensive than seeing the vet!

Comment

Nothing new has been introduced to the environment that I can think of. She has been on the same food since she was a kitten. What our plan is at the moment is to keep the e-collar on her all weekend. Its terribly sad, but its the only way to truly track any progress. I have an appointment Monday to take her in if she has not got any better.

Comment

Originally posted by tfronk68 View Post
          I have an appointment Monday to take her in if she has not got any better.
          Best of luck, hope she is better soon!

Comment

Good luck and keep us posted. Unfortunately, I can't add to anything that has already been said except for the fact that I am now considering moving to Utah. I have three dogs....'Nuff said....
            http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

Enviroment comes first. You can use to flea comb for your cute Cat.

Comment

Working...
              X