Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogs ,Wolves , Problems ???

OK I was just watching a show on History Channel "Tougher In Alaska"
    So here is the deal Fairbanks Alaska basically in the middle of the Wild environment up there. Wolves running around outside of town city limits. Usually wolves are feeding on Moose in deep snow etc...
    Although some people evidently believe its OK to leave their dogs running loose all over town . These dogs end up running around town and on the out skirts of town as well. So wolves see an easy dog meal and take it. Immediately people start getting mad at the Wolves.
    What's worse yet these people chain their dogs outside all day all night. Yes its better to chain a dog then leave it run wild. So then Dog gets attacked and killed on the chain. Now wolves are at fault for killing dogs on the chain. People say wolves must be killed.
    Now here is my take on this. If you want a dog you take care of that dog. You keep that dog in the house. You take that dog outside and watch it while it goes to the bathroom. Then you bring your dog back into the house. No dogs outside equals no dogs for wolves to kill. Wolves no longer have easy dog meals , they stop coming into town.
    So who's fault is it these wolves are killing these dogs? Is it the wolves fault ? Or the ignorant people who shouldn't have any dog in the first place because they don't care enough to take care of the dog properly? If its a sled dog that needs to be outside build a fenced in dog runs. No more wolf problem no more dogs getting killed. It doesn't take a genius to figure this out. Yet these people continue to blame the wolves and kill these wolves.I'll never understand why someone would have a dog. Just so they can chain the dog outside and leave it there? In my opinion you should not have a dog if this is how you believe a dog should be treated.

Had to make a RANT !
    This subject was really bugging me!!
    . . . . . Lar M

Lar M
    Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Re: Dogs ,Wolves , Problems ???

amen... this sounds kinda similar with then snake stories... if you know there is a wild snake around "stalking"your dog why would you just let the dog run free to be killed... sigh... sometimes... you know, now i know why survival of the fittest applies for every other species on earth... in my eyes humans are wimps "thats not fair that i cant leave my dog outside and it not get eaten" lol so sad...

Melissa

Comment

People are not very intelligent.
      Some are born without common sense, some choose to be retards... what can you do?
      I wish I could beat them all with a stick, but I'm not fond of picking on mentally challenged people :|

Comment

Unfortunately it is an attitude all too often displayed in more remote areas like Alaska. There is a more 'independent' spirit. I live like I want and I am what is important. It's sad when animals are blamed for something that man could prevent. In a way it's just plain lazy. I'm not a 'tree-hugger'. I believe human beings are special and that we need to care for one another but I can't stand it when folks let their dogs run free to cause damage and get hurt and their cats free to kill wildlife. We are smarter than the dogs and cats and it is our responsibility to make sure they are safe and do not infringe on our neighbors. If not it eventually causes harm to our pets and to other wildlife. Rant over. Thanks for posting. I feel better now!

Comment

I may get flamed for this, but if wolves are encroaching closer and closer to humans, they should be killed or removed. Pet dogs are not the only animals in danger. Livestock as well as children could be at risk.

Wolves were introduced in Idaho a few years ago, and it has been a nightmare. Dont get me wrong, I dont want to see 'em wiped out, but there has to be some population control.

Comment

Originally posted by DtRooster View Post
            I may get flamed for this, but if wolves are encroaching closer and closer to humans, they should be killed or removed. Pet dogs are not the only animals in danger. Livestock as well as children could be at risk.

Wolves were introduced in Idaho a few years ago, and it has been a nightmare. Dont get me wrong, I dont want to see 'em wiped out, but there has to be some population control.
            They're obviously coming into town because there is a food source, and that is dogs, cats and all that.

Like Lar stated, they usually feed in deep snow on moose etc... Why would they suddenly just go into town?
            Because idiots let their dogs out for easy meals... hell, if I was a wolf, I'd rather kill a dog than fight a moose and risk dying.

Comment

Yeah, that's absolutely absurd- we're in their territory, not the other way around, and so it's sort of hard to blame them for taking an easy meal if it's presented to them. It boggles my mind that people are usually smart enough to keep their small dogs in when cougars and bobcats are roaming about city suburbs, and yet those in Alaska have no regard for wolves' indiscriminate tastes.

This always worries me, as a resurgence in anti-wolf sentiment would just start the vicious cycle all over again. We're only just now getting to a point where our culture has come to terms with large predators and the fact that they contribute quite a lot to their respective ecosystems, and I'd late for us to go in a downward spiral and start killing them off again all willy-nilly.

...And, to address Dtrooster, I completely understand that people who have to deal with wolves on a daily basis- especially in terms of livestock- have a much different and far more personal opinion on the whole situation. Granted, I'm pretty sure we don't have any recorded case of a wolf killing a human in North America so I doubt children come into play, but the balance between livestock and wolf population has always been a difficult argument. One I feel silly commenting on, since I'm not there on the front lines being affected by it.

-C

Comment

I can't even address the anti-wolf/anti-predator sentiments because that whole thought makes me very angry as does the outdoor dog (chained, loose, etc). On a side note, my cats go outside and a few years ago there was a rash of great horned owls picking up cats and small dogs around here. I worried for my cat (only had one at the time), but if he got eaten it would have been MY fault since I let him out, not the owl living its life who happened upon a tasty 10lb meal.

Comment

Originally posted by Kollindyr View Post
                  They're obviously coming into town because there is a food source, and that is dogs, cats and all that.

Like Lar stated, they usually feed in deep snow on moose etc... Why would they suddenly just go into town?
                  Because idiots let their dogs out for easy meals... hell, if I was a wolf, I'd rather kill a dog than fight a moose and risk dying.

No, because wolves are territorial, and they continue to expand there territories as the population grows. The more wolves, the more packs of wolves, these packs are in competition for food and territory. Its only a matter of time before wolf territory conflicts with cities and towns.

Comment

First off I do know that in USA western states the Wolves the Ranchers butt heads. I've tried to do some research in the past about this subject. It is a complicated issue,no doubt about that. Plus I'm not in an area that's confronted directly with this issue of Wolves running around possibly in my back yard .So its very hard for me to make unbiased judgements about the issue. Although alot of my research explains there are not huge proportion of wolf attacks/killings on cattle. If its your money that's lost your upset I understand. Most of the cattle who are attacked the way sounds to me are free roaming ,grazing type cattle. So this Western State Wolf issue is really a completely different topic then the Alaske wildlife conservation & Wolf issue

Originally posted by Kollindyr View Post

No, because wolves are territorial, and they continue to expand there territories as the population grows. The more wolves, the more packs of wolves, these packs are in competition for food and territory. Its only a matter of time before wolf territory conflicts with cities and towns.
                    Now this issue in Alaska is slightly/completely different then the issue in our Western sates. The wolves in Alaska are not attracted to some Live stock . This problem in Alaska is completely avoidable. They will not make an area part of there territory if its not desirable. No food source no reason to go there. This is an avoidable situation as are most animal ,human confrontations in Alaska. Most animals go out of there way to avoid human contact. This is also a problem that arises with Bears up there. People do not secure their garbage containers. The bears are attracted to this easy food source . Then the Bear is given one chance in some cases tagged and if reappears its killed. If garbage containers are secure Bears will not be attracted to this as a food source anymore.
                    In the case of these Alaskan Wolves no dogs no food .Those Wolves will not come into without that food source ,just that simple. Problem solved no spilled blood. The Alaskans have a backwards out dated approach to life in general,very few environmental considerations. These type attitudes polluted are rivers and land and wiped out many species of animals in the USA in the past.Alaskans need to learn how to coexist not exterminate. That 1-2 Wolves that don't learn after the food source is taken away ,would have to pay that ultimate price.Alaskans really need to learn to be conservationists. This is Americas last somewhat untouched gem or beautiful wild place. It should not be destroyed for any reason. I'm probably fairly close to what people call a tree hugger because of my views on the environment. I really think the loss of these special wild places and Wild life is a great loss to all of us and the future generations.
                    I'm glad this forum gives me and all of us a chance to comment on so many different issues. Or I'd just be spouting off around with very few people to make my point to,LOL
                    Thanks everyone for participating in this non Boa discussion.
                    . . . . . Lar M

Lar M
                    Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

too lazy right now to read all the posts, so i just read the main one. in short... humans are to blame for about 99% of incidents including the wild animal and the humans "property." dont like bears in your trash? shouldnt have moved to the woods. dont like rattle snakes in your yard? shouldnt have moved to the desert. dont like wolves eating your dogs? stop being a moron and following the rest of man-kinds mistakes. i guess its just human nature to blame something else other than ourselves.

they are only doing what they need to do for survival. we are only doing what we want out of greedy and stupidity. so... who is really to blame?

Comment

i too hate how people are so ignorant and think that mankind is the only important thing on the earth. if anyone has been to NYC, which i go to a lot, everyone hates the rats in the subway. i honestly feel bad for the rats because their lives are at risk every time that train comes along. they are forced to live like that because of us. I know there are a lot of squirrels shocked on the telephone pole wires, and i think they have these balls that many people introduce on these wires. they spin every time a squirrel climbs on it. falling, dead.
                        though there are slowly benefits starting, i think a few months ago they introduced a new fishing hook that avoids deaths of turtles and catches fish better than a regular hook. this benefits the whole ecosystem. and thats cool

Comment

sigh... i love how people think there is ONLY ONE WAY to do things... there is ALMOST ALWAYS another way to take care of things... and it pisses me off that no one tries to think of anything else that can be done... wolf problems... killing then is the only way... stupid owners releasing their snakes... banning them is the only way... do you see what i mean... banning them is NOT the only way to take care of that situation and killing every wolf you come across IS NOT the only way to take care of this situation... use the brain you have and think of a way that benefits more than just us... spoiled brats... me me me... thats all we seem to care about... again, not enough care in this world... no wonder people always look at me weird when i do something that benefts someone else more than me... i'm being nice! you should try it some time!!! stop being self centered... ****ers...

Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by Boa Amarali View Post
                            Most animals go out of there way to avoid human contact. This is also a problem that arises with Bears up there. People do not secure their garbage containers. The bears are attracted to this easy food source . Then the Bear is given one chance in some cases tagged and if reappears its killed. If garbage containers are secure Bears will not be attracted to this as a food source anymore.
                            In the case of these Alaskan Wolves no dogs no food .Those Wolves will not come into without that food source ,just that simple. Problem solved no spilled blood. The Alaskans have a backwards out dated approach to life in general,very few environmental considerations. These type attitudes polluted are rivers and land and wiped out many species of animals in the USA in the past.Alaskans need to learn how to coexist not exterminate. That 1-2 Wolves that don't learn after the food source is taken away ,would have to pay that ultimate price.Alaskans really need to learn to be conservationists. This is Americas last somewhat untouched gem or beautiful wild place. It should not be destroyed for any reason. I'm probably fairly close to what people call a tree hugger because of my views on the environment. I really think the loss of these special wild places and Wild life is a great loss to all of us and the future generations.
                            I'm glad this forum gives me and all of us a chance to comment on so many different issues. Or I'd just be spouting off around with very few people to make my point to,LOL
                            Thanks everyone for participating in this non Boa discussion.
                            . . . . . Lar M
                            I agree with you completely Lar. I am from upstate NY and if you didn't secure your garbage then don't be surprised to wake up to a bear in it. My Aunt lives in Natural Bridge and in Natural Bridge, people don't lock their doors at night because of crime but because of the amount of bears that get into their homes. You never heard people talking about killing off the bear population. When we live in this world, we are occupying another animals territory. When you cut down a forest to build homes, all those animals have no place to go and they stay close by. I agree Lar, it is through our behaviors that these animals will naturally leave. We don't need to kill them off because we feel they shouldn't be there. If we changed some of our behaviors they would naturally leave because the opportunities are not here for survival. Well said Lar.

Star

Intelligence is not how much you know, but knowing how to put the knowledge you have to use!

Comment

Originally posted by weird_science04 View Post
                              I agree with you completely Lar. I am from upstate NY and if you didn't secure your garbage then don't be surprised to wake up to a bear in it. My Aunt lives in Natural Bridge and in Natural Bridge, people don't lock their doors at night because of crime but because of the amount of bears that get into their homes. You never heard people talking about killing off the bear population. When we live in this world, we are occupying another animals territory. When you cut down a forest to build homes, all those animals have no place to go and they stay close by. I agree Lar, it is through our behaviors that these animals will naturally leave. We don't need to kill them off because we feel they shouldn't be there. If we changed some of our behaviors they would naturally leave because the opportunities are not here for survival. Well said Lar.

Star
                              UpState NY , Black Bears are fairly common there aren't they Star ? Even find Black Bear found in parts of New Jersey as well right ? Interesting about the locking the door issue. The New Yorkers deal with the Bears properly . They don't run out the door and shoot 'um. As Mel explained people need to be less selfish there are many options besides extermination. You have to know all sides of the story and all the facts though. If more people would have these type conversations we are having possibly just possibly it could turn into action.
                              . . . . Lar M

Lar M
                              Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X