Heartbroken! (kind of)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heartbroken! (kind of)

Well, as much as I love my dog Boomer, it appears as though I will be getting rid of him. As you all know, I rescued him from a pretty bad situation as the runt from a group of fighting dogs. He appeared neglected and not very socialized when I got him at about 10 weeks old. Since then, with good nutrition, socialization, play, love and training he seemed to have recovered well. Only a couple of growling incidents early with being agressive when taking one of "his" posessions. That seemed to have subsided as well.

UNTIL NOW.....I was at work and my wife came running in saying "I almost strangled the dog!"....apparently he had gone into my 3 year old daughter's room and taken a yogurt container off of her table. When my wife came in she saw Boomer on the floor chewing the container and Azure combing his tail with a doll brush. The problem was when Boomer saw her enter, and knew she would take the container he was busily chewing, he decided to growl in protection of his precious item. She, of course, went to take the container anyway and got a bit nervous about the growling since Azure was touching him at the time. As she reached down to take the yogurt container HE GROWLED LOUDER AND ATTEMPTED TO BITE HER! This cannot be tolerated from ANY dog....especially from one that is almost as strong as she is as a puppy and will be stronger than her as an adult!

The early growling we simply attributed to him being VERY hungry, and neglected and were hoping to work it out of him pretty easily (and it appeared as though we did). Unfortunately it seems as though it has resurfaced further down the line. I didn't want to take him to the ASPCA here as the Philadelphia region has sooooo many pits that they tend to put them down pretty quickly. Instead, I have a cousin that lives in WV that is pretty "alpha male ish" and said he would try to work with the dog to see where it goes before having to turn him in. So I suppose this will be considered his "Third" chance.

My wife was taking it pretty hard but really understood (after feeling that agression without anyone else being around) that it has to be done. We, have a friend that just had a litter of blues that heard what happened and offered one of his as a replacement. Sooooooo....it looks like there will be a happy ending to this even if it is somewhat bitter sweet. Here is my daughter and wife at the friend's house picking the puppy we came home with. This litter was born on 12-26-09. She picked a blue but had a hard time deciding between that and one of the more traditional staffy colored ones.....anyway, sorry for the long read but I needed to vent....here are the pix....

The one we picked (meaning my wife picked....lol) back at my mom's house.

This time we are starting from the beginning!

Re: Heartbroken! (kind of)

Thats awesome. Im glad you at least tried to change that dogs life. Hopefully he can still be saved. Looks like the new puppy is off to a good start getting socialized and being a member of the pack. Congrats. I hope to own a Razor's Edge blue pit in the next couple of years after Im able to buy a house.

Comment

Azure needs that firm hand Alpha male attention to break him of his possessive growling situation .
      He needs to be dominated.

My fem I lost Aug 27 '08 came from a pretty similar back ground
      she was Doberman / Shepherd mix with I believe and so did the
      animal control people a portion of APBT in her.

As a baby her ears and tail were cropped with scissors ( at home style )
      and the whole litter was being raised for a certain purpose.

I believe fighting warm up dogs as yours would have been

So she had issues just like your guy

I showed her lots of love but a very firm dominating hand
      was also needed at times

She turned into the best dog I've ever had

But its alot of work !

Good luck with new one.

Lar M
      Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Just smack him on the nose and let him know who's in charge.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the way things turned out with Boomer. Unfortunately, when dogs are bread to have certain traits, you can't seem to break them from those traits no matter how hard you try.

Definately glad you were able to find someone to try and work with him rather than having to put him down.

Also, congrats on the new addition. That's a very good lookin' pup!
          "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bebowebb View Post
            Sorry to hear about the way things turned out with Boomer. Unfortunately, when dogs are bread to have certain traits, you can't seem to break them from those traits no matter how hard you try.

Definately glad you were able to find someone to try and work with him rather than having to put him down.

Also, congrats on the new addition. That's a very good lookin' pup!
            Actually, the american pit bull tarrier is one of the least likely dog breeds to have agression toward humans. In the fighting environment human agression wasn't tolerated and those dogs displaying it would be culled. If two dogs were fighting to the death and both of the animals were "game" there was no need in letting them die if there was a clear winner. The owners of the dogs had to be able to break them up without risk of either dog attacking either of the humans. Both my vet and the staff at the ASPCA believe it was the result of being neglected before I got him. Having the need to "posess" his food was the only way he felt he could survive. Sucks that I got to him too late. The idea that pit bulls are more agressive than other breeds is a myth (at least towards people).

Comment

sorry to hear that and happy to hear that. congrats on the pup. hope it brings you and your family happieness and future fond memories.

Comment

Originally posted by cwaybrown View Post
                No u shouldn't discipline a dog with your hand like that. That's how people get bit, they asociate the hands as something bad. I try to stay out of the dog threads because of my back ground training them. But that comment HAD to be addressed. Please don't take it personal.

Comment

Originally posted by Atrayu View Post
                  No u shouldn't discipline a dog with your hand like that. That's how people get bit, they asociate the hands as something bad. I try to stay out of the dog threads because of my back ground training them. But that comment HAD to be addressed. Please don't take it personal.
                  Never.

Comment

Originally posted by danktat View Post
                    Actually, the american pit bull tarrier is one of the least likely dog breeds to have agression toward humans. In the fighting environment human agression wasn't tolerated and those dogs displaying it would be culled. If two dogs were fighting to the death and both of the animals were "game" there was no need in letting them die if there was a clear winner. The owners of the dogs had to be able to break them up without risk of either dog attacking either of the humans. Both my vet and the staff at the ASPCA believe it was the result of being neglected before I got him. Having the need to "posess" his food was the only way he felt he could survive. Sucks that I got to him too late. The idea that pit bulls are more agressive than other breeds is a myth (at least towards people).

YES! Thank You! You obviously know what you're talking about and I believe you made the right decision. Taking him out of your environment (with a child in the house) and giving him to someone who may be able to "rehabilitate" the dog was spot on.

You did yourself, your family, Boomer and the whole APBT breed a service by doing what you did brother. BIG props on your understanding of this awesome breed and doing the RIGHT thing!

Comment

Originally posted by cwaybrown View Post
                      No, that's how you break a dog's trust. You should never hit them.

A timid or skittish dog can be just as dangerous as a dominate one.

JMHO

Comment

You made the best decision, you took your family into consideration and did what was best. I wouldn't even take the chance with a possibly vicious dog being around my kids. I raised American Staffordshire Terriers (AmStaffs) years ago but after my wife's 3 year old son was viciously mauled by one I got rid off all my dogs, the one that attacked my stepson was put down immediately. My dogs where always shown love and attention and never fought but it was over a food item that the dog attacked! You never can tell about some dogs and they can go from calm to vicious in a split second. I know everyone has an opinion on this and I am not going to get into an argument over dogs or dog breeds. I never thought for once that one of my dogs would ever do anything like that until it happened. I believe you did what you should have by getting that dog out of the household. Luckily the dog didn't decide your daughter might take it's treat and lash out at her. You can't take things like that back when it's too late.

Comment

Originally posted by DIRTY SHOOTER View Post
                          YES! Thank You! You obviously know what you're talking about and I believe you made the right decision. Taking him out of your environment (with a child in the house) and giving him to someone who may be able to "rehabilitate" the dog was spot on.

You did yourself, your family, Boomer and the whole APBT breed a service by doing what you did brother. BIG props on your understanding of this awesome breed and doing the RIGHT thing!
                          I concur. I have owned three pitbulls in my life and currently have a pit x boxer but as much as I love(d) my dogs, people's safety has to come first!
                          http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

That's unfortunate but it shouldn't be too difficult to fix. I'm a dog trainer and in my experience, unless the dog has had many successes biting people and getting away with it, it's a very easy thing to correct. Congrats on your new pup. Does the breeder have any males left? I'm looking for a male to breed with my female Razor's Edge APBT.
                            http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

Comment

Originally posted by b3napoleon View Post
                              That's unfortunate but it shouldn't be too difficult to fix. I'm a dog trainer and in my experience, unless the dog has had many successes biting people and getting away with it, it's a very easy thing to correct. Congrats on your new pup. Does the breeder have any males left? I'm looking for a male to breed with my female Razor's Edge APBT.
                              Yep. All of them acutally (as technically most say they shouldn't leave mom just yet). There was only one female (blue) the rest were male. I believe there are 5 left. Dad is much lighter a blue than the pups but you can really see what they look like in the right light

Comment

Working...
                              X