Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't do this!

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/woman-mist...200554926.html

Hard to believe that anyone did this...I still suspect it's only a joke & maybe photo-shopped? I dunno...I've been around quite a few coyotes
    & never saw one I that I thought would let me drag it inside....reminds me of the 'found pet ads' I've seen for an "ugly cat" (actually a possum).

(but it made me giggle anyway...)

Re: Don't do this!

Hahaha! That's crazy. When I was in high school I was out one morning waiting for my bus. Very early, sun was just coming up.
    There was a lady getting ready for work a few houses down - new family to the neighborhood. I saw a little puppy running toward me from her direction so I ran over to him, scooped him up thinking he was hers! Thought, hey! I'll be a nice guy and save a lil pup.

NOPE. as he was squirming in my arms, I look between the houses and momma was sitting down eyeing me down. I just about had to change my underwear but I slowly let her pup down and he ran over to her. She gave me a stare then they both turned around and ran off. I like to think of it as a nod of "thank you". Heavens knows I would have been completely defenseless against momma.

Comment

Ahhh, thanks bcasilio, for more laughs! I needed that... I could understand mistaking a pup, for sure...so much variation in domestic dogs.
      In some areas of So. Calif. where I've lived, coyotes really made themselves "at home", even learning to cross high-traffic streets, so I can see
      where someone might think they saw a "loose dog"....but I cannot imagine anyone actually catching an adult, unless it was young, sick, or maybe
      others had been feeding it so it had lost some fear* of people. *Sadly that usually ends up with tragic consequences for the coyote...much like
      snakes, they never have good lawyers to get them acquitted.

When I lived in the desert, I once came eye to eye with a coyote that was hunting in my "back yard" (acres). It was hilly & I was wearing track shoes,
      so as I quietly hiked over a ridge...OOOPS! We surprised each other, & each did a hasty about-face in opposite directions. I had no close neighbors &
      enjoyed the local coyotes...they got occasional random freebies from me- if a snake decided not to eat their rat or mouse, I'd toss it over the fence & it
      would be gone by morning...so clearly they made regular rounds. In the long very hot summer, now & then I put a bucket of water outside the fence
      too, for whatever creatures wanted to part-take. We always maintained our distance, the way it should be...though a few times (when I had not tossed
      out any rodent-rejects in a long while) I'd sometimes be awakened to a loud sing-along at 4 am very near-by...I took that as a reminder, of sorts...
      They're pretty smart.

Speaking of random gifts to wildlife, & since it's almost Halloween, I am reminded of the funniest thing I ever shared. The local market gave out free
      pumpkins with groceries as a promo...and I didn't care about carving it, but then I thought about the squirrels & rabbits (jacks & cottontails) that were
      all around. So I carved it & put it way out back, and the next morning, there were big ears sticking out the top of the pumpkin, as a rabbit was eating
      away from the inside! Hilarious! All day long I saw ground squirrels going in & out thru the holes too, then getting elbowed out by a bigger rabbit. It
      was a good-sized pumpkin but it all but disappeared by the end of the first day. Good eats are hard to come by in the desert!

Oh, and one more...I once tossed out a couple frozen rats (cleaned my freezer of oldies), you should have seen the coyotes! They knew this was food,
      but they had never (I assume?) experienced a meal so 'refreshing' in the hot summer: they'd pick it up, toss it, pick it up, toss it...but they finally ate
      them, LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Noelle7206 View Post
        , there were big ears sticking out the top of the pumpkin, as a rabbit was eating
        away from the inside! Hilarious! All day long I saw ground squirrels going in & out thru the holes too, then getting elbowed out by a bigger rabbit
        That is awesome!! I wish my carved ones were used like that.

That is so great about the coyotes playing with the rats. I really wish I could have seen that.

I think my favorite feeding of any animal is my African Grey. That guy is 46 years old and such a riot. He'll tell you "Give me some" and if it's a dorito chip... he'll say "Hurry up, come on" I'll have to post some pictures of him creeping in on my dinner. If you don't say anything to him and you're eating pasta, he will slowly walk over and start taking single strands of spaghetti. The brain on him is extremely surprising. My grandmother was watching us when I was about 14 years old while my parents were in Hawaii on a business paid trip (LUCKY). Well Oliver (the parrot) was acting up and she told him to shut up! Be quiet! she tapped the side of his cage a few times and walked away. Not 5 seconds after she turned around we all (myself, my sister, my brother, and my grandmother) heard Oliver say "you don't belong here". WHAT!?!??!?! That's when we found out that he not only repeats things but as he stays with the same family and listen to our words, he will start to understand those words and use them. He blows my mind. He's like a cat in the sense that he only talks when he wants to, you can't make him.
        ok ok only one more. We had Oliver the parrot in the house while we had my first dog, Dana - a springer spaniel. Such a beautiful and sweet dog, man I miss her. Well the dog went blind and Oliver obviously knew it. He would sit on top of his cage and say "Dana! Come here" and start making the kissing noise. Dana would come barreling into the room and run into a wall. Oliver would start laughing like crazy. He knows how to keep himself entertained.

Comment

I've only heard about the intelligence of parrots like African greys, I've never experienced them first-hand...that is AMAZING! That Oliver was able to really use words,
          not merely repeat things...and yes, I totally believe it. I think many animals ARE smarter than we give them credit for, but lack a means to express it, to "prove it" to
          the satisfaction of skeptical humans. Poor Dana...you'd think she wouldn't have fallen for the parrot's voice?

When it comes to pets, be careful what we wish for...I think way more people fail as parrot-parents than succeed. While they are very smart, that comes with a complex
          personality* that can be a challenge to live with...both in terms of destruction & the decibel level. (*the worst-ever idea for pets is any kind of monkey...& happily, most
          places they are no longer allowed) Few people are prepared to take on really demanding animals...even if it seems like a good idea to start with, in time that motivation
          fades to neglect, or the pet outlives the owner. I am so impressed that you've got a well-adjusted 46 year old African grey! I used to know an exotic-animal vet &
          his wife (in CA) and they had about 6 parrots of various kinds that were all turned over to them from owners who no longer wanted them...oh their house was loud!

The only birds I've kept were when I was a kid, we had 2 parakeets (at different times), & they were different as night and day. One was sorta cranky & anti-social
          (he'd been dumped outside to perish & then caught by neighbors and given to us, so his attitude may have been justified), but the other would talk (repeat things) &
          do some really strange tricks: if we gave him a balloon with a little string tied on it, he would hold the string in his beak & roll over on his back & kick the balloon with
          his feet. Before you ask, I have NO idea how he learned to do that...I don't think we taught him, it was more like "enabled him"? He was such a character, & friendly.

Animals are full of surprises, if we take the time.

Comment

bcasilio, what you said about your African grey "creeping in on your dinner" (hilarious!) reminded me of that parakeet (the smart one) we had when I was a kid:
            he liked to take baths, like in the sink, under a trickle of mildly-warm water, he'd fluff & babble away happily, playing with the water. But we also found out that if
            we let him out when we were eating, he was pretty willing to "make do" with a bowl of cereal! Oops! He dove right in! "Why were you late for school?" well, a
            bird flew into my cereal... "Oh sure!"

Comment

Hahaha that is all awesome!

Yes, I see a lot of Parrot owners who really don't understand the animal. These birds DEMAND attention and know exactly how to get it, whether it's good or bad.

We used to get upset when he would scream but now we take it as he wants something. He is always in the same room we are. Living room, dining room, kitchen, bedrooms, doesn't matter. He's an old guy! He wants to be with us haha. I'm happy to say he has NEVER picked his feathers which is a huge issue with "bored" or unstimulated birds. They will start taking their own feathers off and make bald spots. He not only has never plucked a feather (that wasn't needing to be removed that is) he is starting to grow a TON of bright red. Very weird. Our vet said it can be from liver issues or having a special gene in him which makes him super expensive. The vet said that he shows no signs of internal issues and is in fact gaining weight! Hahahaha he will pick out ONLY the sunflower seeds from his bowl. He will be with my family until he passes, never will we sell him. If he out lives my parents, we already planned that I will take over.

Oliver eats better than most people. Breakfast: Grapes, peanut butter, peas, and some apple. Better than my breakfast!

Comment

While I've never kept a parrot, I've heard of the feather-plucking issue. Again, I am SO impressed by your (& your family's) excellent understanding & care of Oliver-
                you are lucky...but so is he! Sadly there's too many pet-owners that don't really understand their animals, even the more basic & widely-kept ones like dogs. The more
                complex & socially-intelligent the animal, the more they suffer from lack of attention & boredom, and end up being destructive one way or the other. Oliver's attachment
                to you (needing to be wherever you are) seems flattering, but is very hard for most people to deal with that, especially for the entire life of the pet.
                Monkeys are like that too, & maybe worse? in terms of "demanding attention & knowing how to get it"...essentially like children that NEVER grow up! haha!
                But the rewards are great too, for those with enough patience. I think all pets can give us a valuable view of life from another perspective, & they remind us to play and
                be more "in the moment".

Comment

Monkeys are like that too, & maybe worse? in terms of "demanding attention & knowing how to get it"...essentially like children that NEVER grow up! haha!
                  But the rewards are great too, for those with enough patience. I think all pets can give us a valuable view of life from another perspective, & they remind us to play and
                  be more "in the moment".
                  Yes, my buddy had a monkey before. Even worse? He got the monkey while he had a wolf dog puppy. The wolf pup grew up and was a great companion! Except for the fact that every. single. morning. around 3:00am-4:00am he would howl at the back door. This not only would upset my friend but then the monkey would wake up and go nuts. Imagine a BIG wolf dog howling and then pots and pans being thrown around because it freaked out the monkey.

Other than that, they were awesome animals. I wouldn't stay the night there anymore but it was awesome to visit during the day

Comment

Originally posted by bcasilio View Post
                    Yes, my buddy had a monkey before. Even worse? He got the monkey while he had a wolf dog puppy. The wolf pup grew up and was a great companion! Except for the fact that every. single. morning. around 3:00am-4:00am he would howl at the back door. This not only would upset my friend but then the monkey would wake up and go nuts. Imagine a BIG wolf dog howling and then pots and pans being thrown around because it freaked out the monkey.

Other than that, they were awesome animals. I wouldn't stay the night there anymore but it was awesome to visit during the day
                    Yup, I can totally picture that! LOL And no close neighbors, I'm guessing.

Comment

And no close neighbors, I'm guessing.
                      Eh, yes lol but it is his family. They live out in the middle of nowhere so they all accepted it

Comment

Working...
                      X