This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gerbils

Here are some pics I just took of some gerbils that are in my rack system.

To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
    -Clay English
    Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Re:Gerbils

8)Nice Clay those look like my breeder gerbils, do yours dig as much as mine do constantly digging like there going somewhere..LOL!! They make good pets for kids to.. and they dont smell like rats and mice do... how many do you keep in them trays??

Comment

How much room od you have at your place??????
      Rats, gerbils, rabbits, snakes..... sounds like you have a regular zoo going on there!

Comment

Hey Clay,

You are really getting some good use out of those breeder racks.. I am still trying to find you the two bins that got trashed in shipping.. So far no luck..

Steve

Comment

Hey Cuda, I just have a male and female in each bin, (and they stay with the babies until weaned)

LOL StormyVA, I do have a petting zoo! Wild animal park, etc etc. The trick is to have buildings to put the stuff in. (Not the house ) The only thing I have outside is the rabbits.

Steve, no biggie on the 2 bins. If it happens it happens, just don't go out of you way.

To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
          -Clay English
          Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

8)Hey Clay how many yrs can a gerbil go on reproducing?? I have one female thats over 3yrs and shes still giving me 5 babies at a time.. Whats the oldest they can get befour stoping reproduction??

Comment

Hey Cuda,

A gerbil like a mouse can breed its whole life after it reaches sexual maturity. Just like a mouse, as they get older, the smaller the litter.. Ideal Gerbils do from 6 months to 2 years and then drop off. A gerbil normally lives 3-4 years. I always sold off my breeders when they dropped below 8.. The Gerbil line I bred produces average of 10-12 per litter. Like I said if the dropped below 8 for two litters, they were sold off. I find the same with mice that if too much fat is offered in their diet, there breeding drops alot and you end up with clogged nipple ducts in the females which turn into tumors.. I always fed mine the Lab Blocks as a staple and seeds as a treat once a week. They did good for me.. I stopped breeding gerbils 2 months ago, mainly because the two pet stores that were complaining they could never get gebils and asked me to start breeding, were not buying fast enough for me. Last group I sold was 38 weaned gerbils along with the 4 tanks of breeders..

Hope that helped some..
              Steve

Comment

8)Thanks Steve that helps...

Comment

Working...
                X